Author Topic: US index to Alien Arrivals  (Read 315 times)

Online Mckha489

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
US index to Alien Arrivals
« on: Wednesday 13 March 19 08:11 GMT (UK) »
ADDEDIt's OK I've found his Barnodo's record, Harry is a different family, so perhaps the number just means the ship they were on, as I think were on the same ship - by coincidence.

Does anyone know what the number on the RHS of these cards means?  (Hopefully the one I am looking at has attached)

ie.  on this one Mgt Ellen is definitely the daughter of Rhoda and she has the same no 53.  7 and 29 are their respective ages.
Similarly for Wm. Ed

BUT there is Harry J age 9 also with the number 53 and I have no idea who he is!  He is not with Rhoda and the others in 1901 in London, and I haven't found a birth for him (MMN NUTCHER)
currently concentrating on NUTCHER & MARSHALL families, Hampshire.
and family of Thomas ANDERSON a Tailor of Perth, Scotland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Hugs.............
    • View Profile
Re: US index to Alien Arrivals
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 March 19 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with the numbers - could they be booking references  ???

Slight difference in christian name - Henry Jeffrey Noakes - born 1896 - aged 9 years - Liverpool to Portland Maine - arriving 10 April 1905 on the Kensington.

List of Dr Barnardo boys arriving on the Kensington.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online Mckha489

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 March 19 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with the numbers - could they be booking references  ???

Slight difference in christian name - Henry Jeffrey Noakes - born 1896 - aged 9 years - Liverpool to Portland Maine - arriving 10 April 1905 on the Kensington.

List of Dr Barnardo boys arriving on the Kensington.

Sandra

Yes, thatís who I decided he was.  and there is a girl Ethel Elizabeth NOAKES age 8. A Bernardo child on the same vessel, who puzzles me too.  Iím looking for same name b 1899 So age 6  and if Mother Rhoda is also in Canada (died there Nov 1905 age 29) then surely she is not the Barnado one.   However her two brothers William and Edward ARE on the Kensington. 

I am hoping if I look at it long enough it will become clear! 

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 21:49 GMT (UK) »
About the 53.....

Poking around the passenger list and looking for passengers with  names other than Noakes indicates the 53 is likely related to the name of the ship. I looked at several other passengers and all have the 53 in their record.

Did you find who you were looking for?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Mckha489

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:49 »
Thank you PB. Yes I fiddled about with some of the others and came to that conclusion too.

I found Rhoda Noakes age 29, Wm Edwd 11, Edward  10, and Margaret E 7. All listed together on the part of the list that says Dr Barnadoís group in transit to Canada. Their ages are correct and itís all nice and tidy. (There are other family groups as well as the long list of children on their own).
In a different part of the Dr Barnardoís list is Ethel Elizabeth Noakes, age 8.  Rhoda had a dau with that name who born in 1899.  I donít think the 8 yr old can be the same one because

A.  Not recorded in the family group.
B.  Age is wrong, she would still be only 4, and when the other childrenís ages are all correct and she is the youngest it seems most unlikely they would make that error.
C. After the death of Rhoda the other three children are accounted for but I see no sign of Ethel Elizabeth

So... did Ethel Elizabeth stay in England? If so who with?
Did she die between 1901 census and 30 March 1905 ?
Did she die in Canada? Get typhoid at same time as mother??  Or die on board ship?

It turns out Ethel Elizabeth NOAKES is a much more common name than one might expect!
The one I am interested in is Edmonton 1899 4th quarter. 3a 470, MMN Nutcher.

Added..and just to make life interesting there are other Noakes on the Kensington, Harry J as in my first post, but also a Mrs Noakes and 2 unnamed children. One F and one M.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 14:30 »
OK then, here is an Ethel for you to consider....

An Ethel Elizabeth McMullin crossed the border from Windsor Ont to Detroit USA 11 Feb 1930, going to in-laws. Her age 30 yrs 4 months. Born Edmonton England. Doesn't remember port of landing, was just a child when brought over. Canadian contact father T W Brooke of Windsor Ont (something is written in front of "father" but I can't make it out).

Family in the 1911 census. Click on split view at the top to see the image. Ethel born England, arrived 1905, older siblings b Ont so parents appear to already be in Canada.

http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=36198&highlight=7&desc=1911+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Tom+W+Brooke

Ethel married Ralph Clayton McMullen 01 Jun 1922 and was widowed in 1925. Ralph gave her birth place as Ontario when he applied for the marriage licence but maybe he just assumed that?

I don't know why Ethel would not have been listed with her mother on the passenger list but suspect the Ethel on it is probably yours with an incorrect age.

It looks to me like little Ethel was perhaps adopted by Tom and Mary Brooke after the death of Rhoda.

Anyway, some food for thought.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Online Mckha489

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 16:17 »
Iíve been looking at that one. Purposely didnít mention her to see if you thought her possible, the location (Ontario west, Essex) is good wrt the other two who were adopted/fostered,

I had not seen the Edmonton mention though,  I think Iíll accept her.  With a notation.

Thank you

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 16:37 »
You are very welcome.

Too bad they didn't put adopted with the daughter notation in the census.

In case you don't have it, here is the family in 1921, top of the page....

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1921&op=img&id=e002923054

PB

Online Mckha489

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 17:05 »
No, I hadnít got as far as looking for that. Thank you.
Yes, the Herdmans put adopted son and daughter for their two, and they kept their Noakes surname. Being that much older I suppose. Also, they knew the names of their parents for their marriages. 

That was what was making me iffy. One presume  there was a birth certificate floating around somewhere. However that marriage license doesnít even attempt to give Mary Brooksí maiden name, so I donít think Ralph can have been very worried about accuracy.