Author Topic: US index to Alien Arrivals  (Read 1752 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: US index to Alien Arrivals
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Actually......

I believe Mary Jane Brooke's maiden name might actually have been Brookes with an s.

Two sons were registered in Ontario to Tom W/Wood Brooke (no s) and Mary Jane Brookes with an s.

Marriage in England for a Tom Wood Brooke (no s) and on the same page Mary Jane Brookes with an s. Mar qtr 1885 Barnsley R D.

Ralph and Ethel had a daughter Helen Jean born in Windsor in 1923. She ended up in the USA. There is quite a bit of info available about her. Here is her grave marker...

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/81141058

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Did you see the cause of death for Ralph. A tree has a newspaper clipping of a delay in the inquest owing to the condition of the person charged, Mrs Janniss.  Bullet wound to the heart.

That tree also thinks Ethel was  Noakes but has an Ontario birth of 3 sept 1900 (suspect day and month probably correct as baptism was 21 sept 1899) and no named parents.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I did see the cause of death. Very tragic.

Ethel is down on the censuses as clearly born in England and having arrived in 1905. One would think the Brooke adoptive (?) parents would have known that. An Ontario birth cert would be available if she was born there.

Online trees are notorious for having errors, unfortunately. I'll have a look at trees later. I do think she is your Ethel Noakes. Difficult to prove outright, though unless you can find a connection between her and her brothers or their descendents who knew what happened to her. As you mentioned earlier...accepting her but with a notation.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I agree.

Offline twinkles7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Helen Jean Querfeld.

Detroit Free Press  (Detroit, Michigan) 23 Dec 1996, Mon  -   Page 12

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/29728015/helen_jean_querfeld/

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, quite a few descendents, and with a seemingly unusual surname.

I was wondering why a young widow with 4 small children would take it upon herself to emigrate to Canada/USA. Looks like her sister Eliza preceded her in 1890. She is living in Detroit in 1910 and it looks like Rhoda's son William is living with her and her 2nd husband.

PB

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, quite a few descendents, and with a seemingly unusual surname.

I was wondering why a young widow with 4 small children would take it upon herself to emigrate to Canada/USA. Looks like her sister Eliza preceded her in 1890. She is living in Detroit in 1910 and it looks like Rhoda's son William is living with her and her 2nd husband.

PB

Yes.  William etc. he married Ona O’Neil whose mother was a Herdman. Margaret Ellen (Nellie) and Edward’s adopted family were Herdman.
Nellie married Herbert VOLLANS and HIS mother was a Herdman too!  It seems bad luck Ethel should be apparently excluded from this close group

I’m not entirely happy with the proposed death of Ethel. (1986 in England as Ethel Brook). But perhaps someone has family knowledge)

Added, also done under auspices of Barnardos

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 March 19 13:33 GMT (UK) »
From what I can see, the Ethel Brook who died in Lancashire in 1986 had a birthdate of 03 Sep 1900. Wrong year to start with?

We are not allowed to post about lookups in the 1939 register but you can look for her yourself and check her birthdate. I put her names and year of birth in the boxes of the free index. The free index indicates there is also a John W Brook in the same household. Husband perhaps?

I don't believe she is your Ethel. I can't see your Ethel leaving a daughter and grandchildren to move to England. She may have remarried and/or moved back to Ontario, though.

PB

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 March 19 19:53 GMT (UK) »

I don't believe she is your Ethel. I can't see your Ethel leaving a daughter and grandchildren to move to England. She may have remarried and/or moved back to Ontario, though.

PB

Perhaps to the friend Frank NEWELL she crosses the border with in 1933 😀

I think I’ll let her rest for now.  At least I’ve tied up the loose end of whether she went to Canada too or not.

Thank you for your help.