Author Topic: Fleming or Springall in Jersey  (Read 741 times)

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fleming or Springall in Jersey
« on: Wednesday 13 March 19 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I have this rather faded, colourless photo.  Can it be made 'brighter' and coloured please?

I would also like to try and place and date it.  There is a photographer's stamp on the reverse but only the word 'Jersey' is visible.  The hotel name behind the car and people is barely visible.  The boy in the front seat MAY be my father-in-law who was born in 1923.

Thank you.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fleming or Springall in Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian, This is a lovely photo.
I can't find a hotel in Jersey with Pavillion in its name, but it looks as if there is a short word in front of Pavillion - The? East? West? something like that.
I am not very good at dating but going by the ladies hats I would say late 1920s. My mother wore a similar hat at her wedding in 1929 and she lived in a small village in England so I doubt if she was really up to date with fashion. The ladies in the photo I would imagine to be fashionable as they are in a chauffeur driven limousine.
I would think the young boy could be older than 6 or7.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 14:45 GMT (UK) »
The limousine is a Renault with the radiator behind the engine.
Similar to the one attached:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1920_Renault_Limousine_EU,_4_cylinder,_12hp,_2815cm3,_60kmh,_photo_1.JPG

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 15:08 GMT (UK) »
I think the photos looks be 1930s...the woman back right in green looks to be wearing a brimless cloche hat which I believe became popular in the early 30s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Gosh the colour really changes things - and makes it clearer.  I attach another couple of photos.  The little boy is my father-in-law in his school uniform (dated 1929) to compare with the boy in the car.  Father-in-law was always big (6'4" and 20+ stone as an adult) so it is difficult to guess at his age.

The family group on the rock might the be same people as those in the car and may be his mother and father with others.

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 March 19 17:38 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't resist, he was such a great looking young man!
Blake, Willis, Parker and Whittington

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 March 19 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Amazing!  Thank you for doing this - it will certainly make an interesting addition to the family album and prompt discussion.