Author Topic: HOW TO search within text on a webpage  (Read 304 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HOW TO search within text on a webpage
« on: Wednesday 13 March 19 12:42 GMT (UK) »
This has been mentioned on another board and may be useful for others.

On a pc with the webpage you want to search open,  Pressing CTRL and F will bring up a search box ,
EDIT  On Mac its CMD and F,  type a word in and it will search the page you are on for a particular word.

On an iPad or iPhone using Safari with the webpage open, at the top of the page delete the url (http://www etc) in the address bar and type in the word you want to search for. You then get options to either search the web for that word OR search 'this page'

On a Kindle Fire with the webpage open, look at the top where the address bar is - in the space at the far right there is an icon that looks like 3 little dots in a vertical line. Tap that and then tap the magnifying glass. Then you can enter the word and it will search the page.

Other devices may use a slightly different method (the above is the limit of my experience), but it should be possible on any tablet/phone/ computer.

It can save time if you just need to know if the particular word or name is on a long page.

NB won't work on handwriting or an image of text, nor does it take into account spelling errors or typos.

Boo

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HOW TO search within text on a webpage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Boo for this very helpful post. 

I have followed your instructions using my Kindle Fire and have found this works and is an easy process  :D .. that is once you know how to do things.

I think this is going to be very helpful to me in the future .. no more long scrolling to find something.

I am also going to pass on your advice to others.  I do think I know other people who will find this beneficial too. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Martin H. Watson Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 13:19 GMT (UK) »
 If ever there is something that I am doing on a computer which is boring or tedious or inaccurate, I look for an easier way of doing it. I found myself regularly searching for one of three or four different search terms on numerous pages.

I thought wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a way of searching for multiple search terms at once on the same page. A little bit of research found a browser add-on which does just that. You specify several different words, click enter and it then highlights every occurrence of each of those words in a different colour. As soon as you go to another webpage you click the icon and it repeats the process.

If anybody is interested in this I will provide further details. I keep meaning to write an article including helpful suggestions like this. I really must get around to it.

Martin
Gedmatch DNA Kit H062246.
FT-DNA Kit B388093

Names:
Loughborough and Loughbrough, (London, Hull, Pirton, Durham & Hartlepool);
Watson, (Bedlington, Jarrow & Hartlepool);
Ballard & Glassop (E. London); 
Leggett (Corton, Scarborough, Hartlepool); 
Young, Adamson & Wilson, (Hartlepool). 

I use GRAMPS v5.0 software. 

My ancestors are probably turning in their graves, not that I can actually find any of them.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 13:29 GMT (UK) »
On a pc/mac with the webpage you want to search open,  Pressing CTRL and F

On my MacBook it's CMD and F. 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 13:31 GMT (UK) »
On a pc/mac with the webpage you want to search open,  Pressing CTRL and F

On my MacBook it's CMD and F.

Yes, sorry. I have been talking to too many windows/tablet users this week and adapting the terminology! (and I have used Macs exclusively for years) I'll amend the original post, thanks

Boo

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 March 19 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Ctrl-f works in most Windows apps, even simple ones like notepad.
Some web pages hide things inside code, and while search engines will flag up the page, you can't see why. They have, though, collected money from the ads they push at you.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.