Author Topic: Is it possible to turn off predictive text on Kindle Fire?  (Read 834 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is it possible to turn off predictive text on Kindle Fire?
« on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to do this and if so can someone explain in an easy to understand way?  Someone told me they think it Is possible but they don't know how.

I am constantly having to check and edit as my predictive text has some weird and wonderful replacements at times. 

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to turn off predictive text on Kindle Fire?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:32 GMT (UK) »
It is okay, someone has just advised.  I think I have now found the solution in switching off some of the options in settings.

I think problem now sorted.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:34 GMT (UK) »
https://www.technipages.com/kindle-fire-auto-correction

that article suggest that yes you can.

Though I am not sure that it would affect 'every' app you use, there may be settings within an individual app that over-ride the global setting?

I'd start with what it says in the article and see if it does what you want, where you want.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:35 GMT (UK) »
oops my post was a little late as you have sorted it, but that article may help someone else :-)

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:51 GMT (UK) »
On mine, I went to 'keyboard and language'. 

Then to current keyboard settings.

Oddly autocorrection was already off.

Then I turned off 'show correction suggestions' 'auto-capitalization' and 'next-word suggestions'.

I think all of this might have sorted the problem as I have tested this with phrases which resulted in right bloomers in the past. 

This includes when I once wrote to someone on here 'thank you for your peace making' which turned into 'love making' :o. Thankfully, I noticed that bloomer in time.  ;D

I also found once that my line .. 'my ancestor was a hawker of cotton' became a ..'basket of cotton'.  Oh and I will never forget the mirth when my post related that there would be 'internet at Gateshead' in a burial look up.

At least now hopefully, my errors will all be my own and not due to my (seemingly) prankster Kindle. ;D

Thank you anyway Boo for trying to help, when you didn't realise that this now seems sorted.  As you say, this might all be useful to someone else too. :)

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 18:47 GMT (UK) »

A thread on Autocorrections could be hilarious....   ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.