Author Topic: Need help to find info on Richard Bailey  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Res7922

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Need help to find info on Richard Bailey
« on: Wednesday 13 March 19 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Greeting,

I have a family member that I have been researching and have been able to find very little info on him. Richard Bailey was born in approximately 1825 possibly in England. Later he relocated to Australia and married Grace Cundy on 19 Jun 1848 in Schoolhouse Kooringa South Africa. She was Born in 1833 in Cornwall England and died 20 Sep 1887 in Greymouth, West Coast New Zealand. Her parents are Peter and Mary Ann Snell. their kids include Mary Ann, Catherine, Richard and John Bailey. Grace also remarried to John Day and John Low. I have no other info on him to include parents or death, any info would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to find info on Richard Bailey
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

When he married in South Africa what information did he provide to the clergy about himself?

You note he relocated to Australia ..... do you know when and/or where?   

You note that Grace died in New Zealand,  do you have her d.c. and does it show how long she had lived there?

Have you considered  Did he die there?  ...perhaps .... Does his d.c. show how long he lived in any of the Australian colonies?

Where have you looked for him ....

JM

Greeting,

I have a family member that I have been researching and have been able to find very little info on him. Richard Bailey was born in approximately 1825 possibly in England. Later he relocated to Australia and married Grace Cundy on 19 Jun 1848 in Schoolhouse Kooringa South Africa. She was Born in 1833 in Cornwall England and died 20 Sep 1887 in Greymouth, West Coast New Zealand. Her parents are Peter and Mary Ann Snell. their kids include Mary Ann, Catherine, Richard and John Bailey. Grace also remarried to John Day and John Low. I have no other info on him to include parents or death, any info would be greatly appreciated thank you.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Res7922

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 19:57 GMT (UK) »
According to the Australia Marriage Index (1788-1950) the location is schollhouse Kooringa registered at the Murray, South Australia. I have not been able to locate the actual certificate to see if further information was revealed. He is listed in 1841 England census at the age of 15 with no parents listed. I have also not been able to find a death record for him in Australia or New Zealand. However according to his great grand daughter he arrived in Aukland new Zealand on the "Ocean" around 1855 listed as a seaman. I have also not been able to locate Graces death certificate but she is listed under the New Zealand death index (1848-1966) dated 1887 registered in Ahaura, Aukland New Zealand.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Agh ..... your opening post has South Africa for the marriage....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A possibility

Adelaide Observer, Saturday 19th April 1856, page 4.

CLEARED OUT
Saturday April 12
Same day, schooner, Caroline, 138 tons, Nicholas, master, for Melbourne. Passengers- Richard BAILEY and wife.

Gerry

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 21:41 GMT (UK) »
A Richard Bailey arrived Adelaide 24 Dec 1845, aboard the Palmyra from Hobart according to this site:

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/ShipLists%20Alpha%20by%20Year/1845PassengersA-M.htm
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Their son John was born in Victoria in 1857 - do you have that birth certificate?  It should give Richard's place of birth, age and occupation.

I have not been able to locate the actual certificate to see if further information was revealed.........I have also not been able to locate Graces death certificate but she is listed under the New Zealand death index (1848-1966) dated 1887 registered in Ahaura, Aukland New Zealand.

You have to purchase certificates from the relevant registries.

Debra  :)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 22:20 GMT (UK) »
The SA marriage certificate won't give much information, a father's name at most.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 22:49 GMT (UK) »

The South Australian Register, Wednesday, 15th December 1847 on page 4 under shipping shipping Intelligence.

Arrived, Tuesday, 14th December, the Barque, China, 600 tons,  E. W. Lively, master, from London and Plymouth.  Passengers.... Peter CUNDY, wife and three children.

Gerry