Author Topic: Swansea Maritime Museum  (Read 123 times)

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Swansea Maritime Museum
« on: Wednesday 13 March 19 23:03 GMT (UK) »

Does anybody know if the above holds records of the Glamorgan Canal

Or are they kept at Glamorgan Archives?

Thanks

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Swansea Maritime Museum
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 March 19 18:52 GMT (UK) »
A simple search on the Glamorgan Record Office website gives a number of results for the Glamorgan canal.

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline strictlysnoopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 March 19 21:10 GMT (UK) »

Thank you, Bernard.

My cousin and I are keen to find out more about our ancestors who were all boatmen on the Glamorgan Canal. They lived in and around Nantgarw near Pontypridd.
      At a Family History fair we were told that records for the canal were kept at the Martime Museum Swansea. As I live between Swansea and Cardiff you can understand that I didn't want to visit Swansea if they were in Cardiff and visa versa.
   Will look up what is available at Glamorgan records office and take it from there.
  Thank you again
Suzanne

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 March 19 23:58 GMT (UK) »
No problem.

As far as I know, the Maritime Museum doesn't hold records - its more to do with artifacts. Might be worth asking them if Cardiff don't have what you want though.

Happy hunting!

Bernard
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/