Author Topic: Charles Edward Owtram  (Read 727 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Edward Owtram
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 14 March 19 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Looks like she can be eliminated.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Justin Holcroft

• RootsChat Extra
  • But not necessarily in the right order
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 14 March 19 21:05 GMT (UK) »
And our Marie Imelda was still alive up to 2010 as far as we know...my wife's half-sister visited her in Plymouth in 2009
Holcroft, Warrington
Oakes, Stoke-on-Trent
Dooley, Stoke-on-Trent
Boden, Stoke-on-Trent
Owtram, Plymouth, Kenya, South Africa
Baker, South Africa

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 14 March 19 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Marie seems to be on the electoral roll right up to 2012 so presumably still alive up to then.

GRO Indexes post 2006:-

Find index reference numbers in person
You can also search for index reference numbers for free at:
•   Library of Birmingham
•   Bridgend Local and Family History Centre
•   City of Westminster Archives Centre
•   Manchester Central Library
•   Newcastle City Library
•   Plymouth Central Library
•   The British Library (you’ll need to register first)
These are the only complete copies of the full sets of index reference numbers. They’re on microfiche.

If you want to see if Marie died after 2012 you would need to visit one of the above places to search the death index.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 14 March 19 22:30 GMT (UK) »
And our Marie Imelda was still alive up to 2010 as far as we know...my wife's half-sister visited her in Plymouth in 2009

Send the half sister back to visit and have her ransack the place for Marie's birth certificate.

Offline Justin Holcroft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 15 March 19 05:56 GMT (UK) »

Send the half sister back to visit and have her ransack the place for Marie's birth certificate.
;D or I'll just smuggle my wife into the UK in my suitcase and we'll go ourselves  ;)
Holcroft, Warrington
Oakes, Stoke-on-Trent
Dooley, Stoke-on-Trent
Boden, Stoke-on-Trent
Baker, South Africa

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 15 March 19 06:22 GMT (UK) »
That would certainly be easier!  ;D

I have been kicking the UK Archives to spit out Marie's passport, and finally came to the conclusion that the "search name" is just there to drive you insane.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/passports/

I thought knowing what date she was on a ship, it would be an easy hunt, but I suppose you have to go to Kew in person, or pay a fortune for them to hunt.... 
Take a look though, I may have missed some obvious thing.

There is also a brief explanation of when people born in the Colonies started needing passports and other tidbits.

Offline Justin Holcroft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 15 March 19 07:39 GMT (UK) »
That would certainly be easier!  ;D

I have been kicking the UK Archives to spit out Marie's passport, and finally came to the conclusion that the "search name" is just there to drive you insane.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/passports/

I thought knowing what date she was on a ship, it would be an easy hunt, but I suppose you have to go to Kew in person, or pay a fortune for them to hunt.... 
Take a look though, I may have missed some obvious thing.

There is also a brief explanation of when people born in the Colonies started needing passports and other tidbits.

Thanks so much - it does look like going to Kew or forking out will be the next possible step....Still fixated by the electoral register thing though...What does seem fairly sure is that my wife's grandfather, CEC, was a British citizen, so we now have a chance at least of the double descent visa route
Holcroft, Warrington
Oakes, Stoke-on-Trent
Dooley, Stoke-on-Trent
Boden, Stoke-on-Trent
Baker, South Africa

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 15 March 19 07:51 GMT (UK) »
anybody know whether eligibility to vote indicates citizenship? Seem to remember from my time in Austria you could only vote if you were an Austrian citizen - same for the UK?
Complicated and the laws would be different in different countries. In UK Commonwealth citizens can vote, also (but irrelevantly in your case) Irish nationals. EU nationals can't vote for MPs in UK but can vote for MEPs.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 15 March 19 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Just to add one of the passenger lists gives a date of birth for MI as 21 Jul 1920.

In the absence of a death certificate you can trawl the probate index to see if any mention there
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Do you have proof of the adoption or was it that he just took on 'responsibility' for Eddie when he married.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk