Author Topic: Add to 'Lives of the First World War' - time running out ..1201 am 19 March 2019  (Read 1471 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/ww1-life-stories

Time is now running out .. there is now only until 1201 am on 19 March 2019 to submit contributions (uploading images/sharing information) so that this can become part of their permanent digital memorial.

It is easy to sign up and to add stories on ancestors/others who died in the Great War.  I hope that as many of you as possible will take this opportunity to add your contribution before time runs out.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Add to 'Lives of the First World War' - time running out ..1201 am 19 March 2019
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 March 19 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting this RTL.  It would be a shame for people to miss the deadline for entering their family members details.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Add to 'Lives of the First World War' - time running out ..1201 am 19 March 2019
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 March 19 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I agree Rosie.  I was only reminded as I have contributed before and so have been sent an email letting me know that the time is now fast running out.  I have just been spending some time adding background information on two of my Great War ancestors who I especially want to be remembered long into the future.

At the time of this post, looking at the website there appears to have been 7,699,101 stories added.  This is great but I think sadly, this likely in no way covers the number of those whose lives were cut short and who deserve to be remembered.

I do hope a lot of RootsChatters will take a few minutes to remember someone in the last few days run up. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 March 19 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I have a few on there and have been adding to them where I can since getting the notice the other week about time running out. 

It does not cost anything to join and was originally started up with FindMyPast and the IWM.  It would be a shame if family members were missed from this online record which I believe will be passed permanently to the IWM.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 March 19 15:17 GMT (UK) »
It's a memorial record for all who served in WW1, not only military.
Cowban

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 March 19 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reminder...a great memorial to them all  8)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline WhataPratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting this, I hadn't even heard of this project until now! Now it'll have to be a mad dash to get my great grandfather and other relatives' "lives" fleshed out.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 March 19 11:21 GMT (UK) »
I first heard about this project when I went to see Peter Jackson's amazing documentary 'They Shall Not Grow Old' at the cinema last year.

Perhaps some people might feel a bit daunted now about getting together a 'story'   to put on for an ancestor now that the deadline is approaching fast.

However, I would encourage people to put something on even if it is only a snippet such as a birth date, or who their relations were.  The information will be used to build a permanent memorial and I think others, especially family  history researchers, in the future will find this invaluable.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 March 19 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reminding me, River Tyne Lass.

I have five ancestors on the site, and I'll make sure to update their details.

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo