Author Topic: Coat of Arms  (Read 435 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coat of Arms
« on: Thursday 14 March 19 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
          I have been asked by a relative to find the coat of arms for her Mitchell family (Ireland)  when googling I was amazed to see so many different ones is there any way of finding out which is the right one?
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coat of Arms
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 March 19 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Not really. A coat of Arms existing does not mean a person with that surname has any right at all to it.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 March 19 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Have a read at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_heraldry

This article explains the differences between Irish Heraldry and English/Scottish Heraldry.
A distinctive feature of Irish heraldry is acceptance of the idea of sept arms, which belong to descendants, not necessarily of a determinate individual, but of an Irish sept

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 March 19 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Generally speaking, coats-of-arms were granted to an individual.
Ideally you need to trace your lineage back to someone who was granted Arms.

Mine (on the left) were from a Garrad line that became extinct.
I only use them on RootsChat! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 March 19 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Generally speaking, coats-of-arms were granted to an individual.
Ideally you need to trace your lineage back to someone who was granted Arms.

Mine (on the left) were from a Garrad line that became extinct.
I only use them on RootsChat! ;D

That was my understanding too until reading that article and a few others all of which confirm the different path taken by Irish Heraldry. Even so I believe that a great deal of research would be needed by an individual to claim a right under Irish Law.

Added :
It would appear that the Irish Chief Herald supports a distinction between displaying Arms and Bearing Arms
Proponents of English heraldry and those who hold a documented right to arms see sept arms as controversial,[2] but the Irish Genealogical Office (previously known as the Office of Arms)[3] "holds that any member of a sept may display the arms of that sept (as distinct from personally 'bearing' the arms, as on stationery, silver, or other such use, [for] only the grantee and his descendants may 'bear' the arms)". Edward McLysaght, the first Chief Herald of Ireland after independence and the author of several works on Irish families, introduced this distinction.

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 March 19 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much to you all, it  sounds very interesting I was not aware of the proper meaning (coat of arms) will have to do some research.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland