Author Topic: Alfred K Munnings  (Read 4302 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred K Munnings
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 18:18 GMT (UK) »
If your friend has seen our comments etc - when is he going to tell you which pub he met them in and when?

There is absolutely no proof that Alfred/Gerald/Julian exist apart from your friends story that he has met Gerald & Julian and verbally had confirmation that Alfred was known in the locality. 

I really think you need to have a very long chat with your friend and get the answers to the questions asked in several replies above
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline smudgepants

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Carole, I spoke to my friend on Saturday night and he will be sending me an email with the address details of the pub. Once I get those I will be writing directly to the pub myself. I have been contacted by a member of the family and they have asked me to refrain from contacting Mr Munning's son due to a problem with ill health which I am fully respecting, the last thing I want is to upset the family. 

As there seems to be a real problem in finding any information on a person called Alfred Munnings I am now going to stop researching the name as it is very odd to me that no one can find anything about the name and I don't want to waste people's time.

I am still however going to research this story from another angle which is to try and contact the Mairies (Town Halls) of the areas mentioned in the story to see if they can shed light on the story and see if there is not another name that surfaces.

This afternoon I attended a ceremony to honour the locals who were killed during the Algerian war. After the ceremony I spoke to a gentleman who has been living close to one the areas where this person who called himself Munnings says he stayed. He is now going to arrange that I meet a member of the local resistance group who is still alive who was very active in the exact area in question.   

For me, it has been very frustrating to not have found any concrete evidence of Mr Munnings.

I want to thank everyone here for all your help in this story and if I manage to find anything about this mysterious person  I will let everyone know.   

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I have been reading this thread with interest.

Being a bit of a cynic it crossed my mind that the “sons” might be making the whole story up, or perhaps their father spun them a web of fibs which they are perpetuating, or the three of them may have been in cahoots? It is a bit suspicious that no trace of any of the main player’s births can be found, and now one of them is (conveniently?) too ill to be contacted.  :-\

It brings to mind a story written by someone my father in law had a tenuous connection to during WW2. He wrote of his exploits in the Special Branch and as a bodyguard to famous people. Most (or all) of the events were true, but the manner of writing was all very “boy’s own” and enhanced for dramatic effect.

Like others have already suggested, a name change could explain the lack of records about this man, however the surname Munnings is an odd choice if someone was trying to cover their tracks, unless there is some family connection to the surname. The surname seems concentrated around the SE - Suffolk area.

Added: if this seems too harsh an accusation, please ask me, or a moderator, to delete my post. I would not want to wrongly accuse someone especially on a public forum.  ;)

I hope you get to the bottom of it all smudgepants.  :)

Offline smudgepants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 22:25 GMT (UK) »
As there seems to be no information available concerning Mr Munnings I have asked the moderators to please take this thread down as I do not want to cause any form of problems for the family at all. I have oother avenues that I can follow concerning the story which I will persue. I would like to thank everyone for there in this rather strange afair. 

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 07:24 GMT (UK) »
It would be a shame to remove this thread as anyone looking for the same information in the future would be able to see what has been posted.  It would be good to have an update as well once you have found more information.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 09:09 GMT (UK) »
It would be a shame to remove this thread as anyone looking for the same information in the future would be able to see what has been posted.  It would be good to have an update as well once you have found more information.

I agree. It would be a shame for those who have put so much effort into the search here, and on the other forum, for it all to be removed. Not at all satisfying.  :)

Regarding the family, I think they may be the ones who can assist the most in this search and hopefully will be able to answer many of the questions people who are trying to help, have been asking. It should not cause them any problems should it?

Just my thoughts on the matter ....  :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I agree.  There is no proof that the son or grandson are still alive (or even exist) so no contravention of RC rules.

It could also be a useful reference if anybody else finds themselves in possession of similar documentation in the future
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if I missed mention of it but do we know who, when and where Alfred married?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 15:32 GMT (UK) »
You didn't miss it

There is no birth marriage or death for Alfred K Munnings/Munings/Manning/Mannings - all variations have been exhausted

No birth or marriage for son Gerald
No birth for grandson Julian