Author Topic: Alfred K Munnings  (Read 4301 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred K Munnings
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 14 March 19 23:17 GMT (UK) »
On the other thread the military experts seem to have concluded that his account of the wartime events could not have been true.  You may have to contemplate the possibility that the names aren’t genuine either.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 14 March 19 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I have also other pieces of information that my friend has been able to find about Mr Munning's return visit in 1995

The year of his memoirs - by which time he would be between 75 and 90. 

Given the lack of documentary evidence of his existence - whilst I can't comment on the content/veracity of whatever info is in the document - I agree with the comments above re: false identity
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline smudgepants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 March 19 12:58 GMT (UK) »
This is really bizzare! Because the document I have has the names Alfred K Munnings and Gerald Munnings and my friend went to see a Julian Munnings who is apparently Mr Munnings's son. He also visited a local pub and both Jullian and Alfred are known there. 

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 March 19 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Have you found a birth or marriage registration for Julian Munnings because I haven't

When and where did your friend's visits take place?

So we have no birth or marriages in England/Wales for any of the 3 Munnings you mention
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 March 19 13:18 GMT (UK) »
The only Munnings I can find in Dorset are a John and Ellen who have a daughter Alfreda!!! She was born 1910 mmn Rideout.   Have looked though gro index for siblings, cant see and Alfred.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 March 19 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I have launched a search on another forum concerning his career in the RAF but no one can find any details of him in the armed forces.

Wouldn't his service records still be with the MOD
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 March 19 14:50 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked through the post and replies on the other forum (link avm gave)

On there you say his name is Munings, rather than Munnings and that he was born Tyneham, no mention of Steeple!!

There were some suggestions on there, one being to follow up what you said about the paper having an article in 1995.  Did you find that article?  I am sure the relevant Record Office will have records.

All the obvious ideas were covered on that thread - someone had even found the Alfreda I found earlier!  We are not likely to find anything that wasn't found there.

So - you need to go back to the "friend" who met the Julian and went to the pub where they were known, and get some more facts.   Where was this? When was this? Is he/she in touch with Julian or Gerald? If they are so well known at the pub, why not write to the landlord and ask him to pass on a letter to Julian or Gerald asking them to get in touch with you as you are interested in their father/grandfathers story?

What other sources have you got, other than the article - by this I mean that on the other thread you said "you had now heard there was a newspaper article in 1995 ...." who did you hear this from?  How did you hear of Gerald and Julian - they arent in the original writings by Alfred ....

far too many unknowns at the moment - suggestions based on what IS known are on the other thread, for any new suggestions we need more info, and I think you are the only one with the links to ....well to whoever gives you the info .......who can find it out!!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 March 19 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Munning(s) Muning(s) Manning(s) we have tried them all and drawn a blank as far as BMD’s go for either Alfred K,  Gerald or Julian.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who finds it rather odd that 3 generations cannot be found on the BMD indexes etc.  Is Munnings perhaps an anglicised version of a foreign surname and BMD’s are under the foreign version?

I agree with the comments made by Liz above and also asked in my reply 12 as to where and when the meetings with Gerald/Julian took place.

Liz has made a good suggestion about writing to the pub where they are apparently well known and in the absence of any other evidence of their existence I can’t see any other way for you to proceed

Offline smudgepants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 March 19 20:59 GMT (UK) »
This is all very odd, the story/memoires that I posted on the other site included maps, I have been to two of the places not known by the public and the maps are very, very accurate. I don't believe that my friend would lie to me at all.There is even mention of a Wolf attack in his story and I have confirmed with a local to the area of Alges that the map is 100% correct! I don't understand this at all!! 

I know someone who lives near the archives in Kew and I am going to ask him to check the Squadron's log book. This person that calls himself Munnings says that he crashed in June 1941.. Surely there will be a list of pilots names that fllew and never returned.

I thank everyone for all there help and I hope this is not some wild goose chase.   

Concerning the Dorset Echo my friend was not able to find any article printed in 1995 at the Dorset History Centre.

My problem is that as I don't live in the UK it is difficult to check out the archives etc myself.