Author Topic: Trying to trace the ancestors of John BLACKWELL, born circa 1790  (Read 59 times)

Offline nong43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Trying to trace the ancestors of John BLACKWELL, born circa 1790
« on: Thursday 14 March 19 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm aware that the Blackwells have been covered to some extent in this thread,

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=663392.0

but I felt for clarity's sake that it was better to start a new one. I'm looking for the ancestors of my 4x-great-grandfather John BLACKWELL.

On both the 1841 and 1851 censuses (the former of which Ancestry has mistranscribed as "Blacknell"), he is listed as a wheelwright, and the latter states his birthplace as Stokenchurch.

I have a will dated 1792 for a John Blackwell, a Stokenchurch farmer, who had sons named John, William, Richard, James and Henry (Henry was not of full age at the time) and a daughter Elizabeth. There's no mention of a wife as far as I can see, so I presume she predeceased him.

If this John is anything to do with mine, I would think he'd be the younger John's grandfather, but this is speculation. If anyone might be able to shed a bit of light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Martin
BKM/OXF: Harvey, Broughton, Goldswain, Braden, Ridgley, Wheeler, Lunnon, Furnell, Ayres, Dean, Austin, Franklin, Baldwin, Bowler, Blackwell, Brooks, Ashby, Judge, Free, Stone, East, Goodchild, Loosley, Stratford, Newell, Johnson, Bailey
BRK: Maskell, Waite, Champ
SSX: Funnell, Hollengam, Gilbert, Ellis, Marchant, Harmer, Curtis, Gurr, Godfrey, Stoneham, DeVerrye, Percye, Lavender
MDX/LDN: Seywell
KEN: Weller, Bishop, Friday, Maynard
ENG: Pewtress
Romnichal: Evans, Alford, Jeffs, Loveridge

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.