Author Topic: Married Twice?  (Read 151 times)

Offline Landyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Married Twice?
« on: Thursday 14 March 19 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

I have just found a couple that apparently married twice.

James Gressam married Emott Drewrye on 9 Feb 1587 in Finningley and the marriage is entered in the parish register accordingly.

the following day - 10 Feb 1587

James Grossam [sic] married Emmatt Drurie [sic] in Wroot and once again the marriage is entered in the parish register.

Wroot is 7 miles from Finningley. Did they really get married twice? or might the marriage have been entered in one of the registers without the ceremony? Has anyone come across this before?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Married Twice?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 March 19 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm currently trying to sort out something similar, although in my case the marriage entries in both parishes have the same date.

As far as I can tell, my couple were both living in one parish, and a relative of the groom's was vicar of another, and the marriage was entered in both registers. (Actually, for the first parish there's a register but no BT; for the second one I've seen the BT, but for some reason the page in the register is missing from the set of images at Ancestry.)

I can think of two possible explanations for mine, but there may be other permutations too:
(a) married in the parish where they were living, but the ceremony was performed by the groom's relative who then entered it in his own register as well
(b) married in the relative's church, but the minister of the parish where they lived recorded it as a ceremony relating to two of his parishioners

Sometimes there's a licence which specifies where a marriage is to take place, and this can help to work out what happened. However, in my case the licence mentions both churches whose PRs/BTs include the marriage, plus another one as well. At least there doesn't seem to be any reference to the marriage at the third church.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.