Author Topic: Peter Garden Died 1775 Lived to 132  (Read 1175 times)

Offline bubandme

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peter Garden Died 1775 Lived to 132
« on: Friday 15 March 19 00:31 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on Peter Garden who is believed to have lived until he was 131/132 in/near Turriff/Auchterless, Scotland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bubandme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Garden Died 1775 Lived to 132
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 March 19 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you I have found those links.

I am trying also to find out if he links to my Garden Family.

I have a very tenuous link to George Garden 1680-1705

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 March 19 01:07 GMT (UK) »
There a few ? in the below as it was hard to read.

Public Advertiser (London, England),
Tuesday, February 7, 1775

On the 12th alt , died near Chapel of Seggatin the parifh Auchterl?? North Britain, Peter Garden, at the extraordinary age of 131. He retained his memory and senfes till near the laft. He lived under ten Sovreigns, viz. Charles & Oliver Cromwell, Richard Cromwell, Charles 11, J????, William and Mary-, Ann and George 1, 11 and 111. He remembered to have been fent , when a boy, to the woods to cut boughs for spears in the time of the civil wars.

Offline bubandme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 March 19 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is definitely him

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 March 19 01:27 GMT (UK) »

The Leeds Intelligencer (Leeds, England),
Tuesday, February 06, 1770
EDINBURGH,  JAN. 24
We hear from Aberdeen,, that about half a mile north from the chapel of Seggar, lives one Peter Garden, who is now in the 122 year of his age. He still enjoys good health and spirits, and for several days last harest performed the ordinary work of a labouring man.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 March 19 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome!

There is a very long article trying to sort out fact from fiction as to how old he really was, that was run in the Banffshire Journal and General Advertiser 28 January 1868.

I've taken a few notes from it, pertaining to anything that might help you see if your Gardens are, in some form or another, related.  They may not help, but as he only had one son to pass the name down, who knows!

Peter was, according to relatives (long after he died, so family lore), born on the estate of Muireak, parish of Tariff. From a branch of the same family as Peter Garden of Delgaty, (stocking merchant of Turiff that did a lot of trade with Holland.) Also related to Garden of Troup.

Peter was married twice. The second wife was the widow of a Mr. Cruikshank.

He had one son (first wife), George, who died age 80, lived at Darley, had four sons and one daughter.
One son was a clergyman, another a baker in London, another a barber in Peterhead, and another a labourer at Peterhead and Pitaligo.  The daughter married in Turriff to a gardener, Mr. Cruden who at one point had the farm named Barnyards of Delgaty.

Peter took up permanent residence in Auchterless prior to 1700, a holding named Ardley.
There are no direct descendants in Turiff or Auchterless;  there is a family in Auchterless of close kinship.

Offline bubandme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 March 19 04:07 GMT (UK) »
OK that brings up more questions than answers. I have been trying to find a link between us and Garden of Troup. It must be further back than I have on our side of the family.

Offline Calhun

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 July 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
My family lore has the Troup girl marrying the gardener's son who had the surname of Angus. They went to Ireland and then to Canada. How do you like those apples? ha ha
To Canada in 1818. From County Down, Ireland. Newtownards is where my John Moore married Sophia Angus, daughter of that relationship. There were also Gordon's (Garden's?) are they one and the same who also came with this group. Cheers, Cal. Moore