Author Topic: Message to RC classicists  (Read 302 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Message to RC classicists
« on: Friday 15 March 19 12:56 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast have today released a copy of the Domesday Book, written in 'a short form of Latin'.

Prepare to be inundated :D

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Message to RC classicists
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 March 19 13:19 GMT (UK) »

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 March 19 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's the one :D

So what does it say ???

Carol (Latin 'O' level, 100 years ago)
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 March 19 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's the one :D

[/So what does it say ???]

Carol (Latin 'O' level, 100 years ago)
Loads; it's basically a census, listing people in A -Z form and places, with descriptions of localities/villages/hamlets in the same style, roughly, that a census enumerator would (much) later use. The reproductions themselves  are wonderfully readable (to anyone used to scribes' abbreviations wot I am not [Latin A level 102 ago] but the HUGE benefit is the additional information - maps with contemporary names, boxes to click on for more info and more, I'm sure,after a short tour; no-one should be put off by the beautiful but undecipherable (not really; hard-to- read) Latin, and a huge bonus is that hovering over the manuscript reveals readable names of people and places. Massive admiration to the compilers.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 March 19 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Lancashire is missing from county list. I remember much of Lancashire being described as "waste". However I've found Lancaster. It was in Yorkshire. Oh, the shame. My ancestors had the choice of living in a non-existent county or in Yorkshire.

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 March 19 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I was always told that Lancashire was there listed as Amounderness ,  ::)
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 March 19 00:24 GMT (UK) »
I was always told that Lancashire was there listed as Amounderness ,  ::)
Amounderness Hundred was in Yorkshire. Blackburn Hundred was in Cheshire.  Salford Hundred was also in Cheshire, which makes sense as it's south of Blackburn. There were 9 places called Bolton in Yorkshire, none were Bolton-le-Moors in Lancashire.
I searched the place index. Select a placename in alphabetical list and a little modern map appears with markers to click on. Each marker I clicked for the villages/hamlets in Amounderness where my ancestors lived showed number of households 0. Hovels didn't count. The relevant page in The Book is shown. I already knew that Earl Tostig, King Harold's brother, was overlord in 1066.