Author Topic: Thomas Breakspear Salmon Snr father of Thomas Breakspear born 1839  (Read 79 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Breakspear Salmon Snr father of Thomas Breakspear born 1839
« on: Friday 15 March 19 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if anyone can throw some light on this puzzle.  I am confident that the father of 'my' Thomas Salmon (sometimes showing Breakspear as a middle name, sometimes not) is Thomas Breakspear Thomas as it was on the marriage cert. for TBS Jnr.  father's  occupation being given as Factor.  His baptism in Birmingham shows TBS Snr as father and mother is Eliza.
A fellow searcher of this family believed  TBS Snr was born 1814 in Birmingham and married to ELiza Poulton.   There is a baptism record for a Thomas Breakspear in 1814 Handsworth, parents John and Emma Breakspear.  Now Emma's maiden name was Salmon and she was believed to have been born in Chipping Norton in 1778 and she married Thomas Breakspear in 1901 in Chipping Norton.
Now, what I cannot get my head round, and my fellow searchers cannot throw any light on, is how does all this hang together   -    what proof is there that  Thomas Breakspear born 1814 is the father of Thomas Breakspear Salmon born 1839.   If it is, why would they change his name from Breakspear putting his grandmother's maiden name as his surname ?
There is a census for 1851 which shows Emma Breakspear aged 73 Widow  born Chipping Norton living in Birmingham with Thomas Salmon aged 14yrs born Birmingham and it says he is her nephew. 
It is so tantalising to see that !   That connection between Breakspear and Salmon.  But it should say he was her grandson if it all follows as above.
Sorry this is so long and don't know if anyone can make any sense of it !
I want some proof that the Oxfordshire family is part of the Birmingham family - if only the 1851 census had said grandson, I would have been convinced.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Breakspear Salmon Snr father of Thomas Breakspear born 1839
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 March 19 15:29 GMT (UK) »
what proof is there that  Thomas Breakspear born 1814 is the father of Thomas Breakspear Salmon born 1839. 

Birth certificate? 
Hinchliffe Huddersfield Wiltshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 March 19 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Baptism at St Philip, Birmingham 11 Sept 1840
Thomas born 29 January 1839
Parents Thomas Brakespear (Salmon)  & Eliza (Salmon)
Abode Lionall Street
Fathers occ Agent
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 March 19 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Where is the little chap and/or alleged parents in 1841?
Hinchliffe Huddersfield Wiltshire

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 March 19 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Well you see I missed that our of my long speil - I haven't found them.   I know that should / could make the difference  in helping to confirm verification.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 March 19 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, didn't notice the other two postings and just replied concerning the 1841 census.

Couldn't find his entry for send for birth certificate - though have baptism record.   

It is really tying up the Oxfordshire family with the Birmingham family I am missing, and why if the surname was Breakspear was it changed to be Breakspear Salmon.