Author Topic: Looking for a missing baptismal record - William Monk (b. c1799)  (Read 1699 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a missing baptismal record - William Monk (b. c1799)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 March 19 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Great result.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 March 19 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you tried the transcribed Worcestershire Baptisms at https://fhs-online.co.uk/  They are a pay-to-view service, but you can see that A William MONK was baptised in Rock in 1798.

Mike
It's a new one for me. I don't have ancestors in any of the counties on the site. Check the Resources list for Worcestershire on RootsChat county board and add it if it's not already included.
I've just done free searches on FindMyPast and The Genealogist. The former doesn't have William's baptism  but the latter does. The FHS online site is hosted by the company which owns TG.
As you have taken a subscription would you tell us the source? I couldn't access the source list page on TG.
Cowban

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 March 19 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I can take a look. What do you specifically mean by source? For this record or more generally?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 March 19 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I can take a look. What do you specifically mean by source? For this record or more generally?
I was just curious about the name and dates of the record set e.g. was the information compiled from parish register or from Bishop's Transcripts? Also why you didn't find William's baptism before by other means.
For instance, some new additions to Lancashire Online Parish Clerks website are from alternative sources to what was previously used or have been "re-worked", perhaps from better-quality photography. They are new and improved versions rather than new additions. This is explained in the regular "New Additions" section. Many early entries in a baptism register for one of my local parishes were illegible.  Bishop's Transcripts has been used to fill in blanks or for verification and this information has been added to the online transcript with a note for each entry.
Cowban

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 March 19 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Ah okay, I get what you mean now.

Well the transcription comes from the Malvern Family History Society transcripts of Worcestershire baptisms. The specific datasets they have for Rock are:

Rock Baptisms - 1813-1839
Rock At Hytington Chapel Baptisms - 1789-1795
Rock St Peter & St Paul Baptisms - 1547-1753
Rock St. Peter & St. Paul Baptisms -1754-1812

I'm not sure why William's baptismal record wasn't showing up in other online transcription results, but maybe the fact that not every online resource has the complete dataset of all Rock baptisms might have something to do with it?

Online Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 March 19 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you tried the transcribed Worcestershire Baptisms at https://fhs-online.co.uk/  They are a pay-to-view service, but you can see that A William MONK was baptised in Rock in 1798.

Mike

Hi Folks,

The Baptisms project was undertaken by Malvern Family History Society.

There is also a Worcestershire Burials Index by Midland Ancestors, the new name for BMSGH {the Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy & Heraldry}.  Originally included in the National Burial Index Cds, now, I believe, on FindMyPast.  However, the NBI search engine and results displayed are very different.

The Worcestershire Marriage Index is not on-line.  In book form, by bride and groom, at The Hive and the Midland Ancestors https://midland-ancestors.uk/  own Library in Birmingham.  Enquiries:

https://midland-ancestors.uk/resources/search-services/search-services-for-staffordshire-warwickshire-and-worcestershire/worcestershire-marriage-index/

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 March 19 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I've used Midland Ancestor and predecessor and recommended them to others.
Cowban