Author Topic: 2 baptisms? (Baptised twice?)  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2 baptisms? (Baptised twice?)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 March 19 18:37 GMT (UK) »
My husband’s great great grandfather appears to have been baptised 3 times. Once where he was born, once in his mother’s parish a few months later (though she had died by this time) and then again as an adult (when already married so not needed for that reason). 🤔
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 March 19 23:28 GMT (UK) »
There are many other threads on RootsChat about repeated baptisms. Put the words baptised twice in search-box and you should find some.
Were both churches of the same denomination?
Cowban

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 March 19 02:12 GMT (UK) »
There can be several reasons for this, some mentioned above.

It can be when the parents change religion, say from C of E to Methodist, the children can be baptised again.

I have some where the children were baptised in both C of E and Congregational to please both sides of the family.

Could be when the parents change towns as well, they have some that are baptised elsewhere and some that are not and come into contact with a Minister anxious to add to his flock.

I have one where he was baptised with only one name and again later with two, one of which is a surname not in the family. I suspect that was a Godfather as above.

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 March 19 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Both churches are CofE - Christchurch St Marylebone (1833) and St Margaret Westminster (1836). The only evidence of change of residence is the one baptism in Marylebone. The others were in St Margaret.
Unfortunately, their father is elusive - no trace in 1841 or 1851. Wife appears alone in both censuses but in 1851 she says she is still 'married' and there is other evidence to indicate that both spouses are alive. The waters are further muddied by Thomas' marriage certificate, where the father's profession is given as 'soldier'. (3 of Thomas' siblings are in the armed forces) and yet all baptisms say 'labourer' or 'weaver'. Of course, I considered that the Thomas on the baptisms might not be mine, but there is a lot of evidence to say he is and I have not found a viable alternative.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 March 19 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I've found one where it says immediately prior to his marriage that he is "re-baptised" - don't know if the original baptism was in the same (R.C.) religious branch, or simply if the chap - who didn't seem to have any close family, and had been born hundreds of miles from where he married - wasn't quite sure if he'd been baptised already, as a child (or if the first attempt didn't "take" - how would you know?) But it seems to have happened more than once in my OH's line.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 March 19 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Re reply 13 TY.
I was looking at new additions on LANOPC last week. They included baptisms, confirmations and first communions at a Catholic boys' home. Looking at one year, I noticed that confirmations and communions all happened in the same week. Studying baptism register for same year revealed that a majority of the boys had been baptised conditionally earlier that week. The first communion register included each boy's confirmation name as a middle name.
Cowban

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 March 19 16:48 GMT (UK) »
He was C of E and 2nd baptism took place 3 years after the first.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 March 19 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Funnily enough, it was in that area that the second baptism took place on the one I was speaking /writing of, MaidenStone. But it wasn't that establishment (I've seen the Online Lancs P Clerks, too) and we'd assumed probably an infant baptism elsewhere, and then baptised because he was about to marry in an R.C. Church, to an Irish origin lassie.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who was born very frail and baptised very quickly (within a couple of hours) at home.  Luckily she rallied and was baptised again in the church when her brother was baptised 2 years later.  I have another which I find amusing. Both grandfathers were CoE Priests, the child was baptised twice 2mon apart, at paternal and then maternal grandfather's churches.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others