Author Topic: Samuel Beesley 1824 - coal dealer of Oxford  (Read 1755 times)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Beesley 1824 - coal dealer of Oxford
« on: Saturday 16 March 19 10:25 GMT (UK) »
I have seen the "Sponsors of Oxford Freemen 1663 - 1997" in the Oxford History Centre, and am intrigued by a Beesley Thomas , son no 2, of Samuel, coal dealer, sponsored 24 Sep 1824.  {Line 19 on the attached}

I wondered if anyone has access to a Kelly's or similar directory for the early 1820's whether there is any reference to this father and son, where they were located etc...

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Beesley 1824 - coal dealer of Oxford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 March 19 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 March 19 14:28 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting - new site to me.  Earliest I can find for Oxford seems to be 1839, and I can't see a Beesley Coal dealer in there.  :(

Pam

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 March 19 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This could be of interest to you.

There is an article in the Oxford University and City Herald 03 August 1833 for the death of Anne (56) wife of Samuel Beesley, coal merchant of the parish of St Thomas in this city (which I presume is Oxford).

JJ

Offline cordley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 March 19 15:33 GMT (UK) »
That's great, thanks.  However I am still having difficulty identifying his second son Thomas, sponsored as a freeman of Oxford in 1824 by Samuel, coal dealer.

Samuel, whose wife Anne dies in 1833, was on his own in 1841 living in Hythe Bridge Street; this matches the death announcement in the newspaper; and he has a niece and her husband (Samuel Collis) living with him.

Samuel Beesley and Ann, nee Garlick, had four children, Ann (1793) William (1800 - 1806?), Thomas (1801-1867) and Mary Ann (1809-1872).  So you could say that Thomas was the second son if you count the one who died young??

In the 1841 census Thomas, who marries Maria Collier in 1822, is shown as
  • Fish Row - (adjacent to Hythe Bridge)

Thomas Beseley   30   Boatman  {?age wrongly noted as can be seen in the 1851,1861 censuses}
    Maria Beseley   45
    Ann Beseley   15
    Elizabeth Beseley   5

However in 1841 there is also another Thomas Beesley whom I haven't yet been able to identify:
  • Hythe Bridge Street   (just a few houses away from Samuel)
    Thomas Beesley 40 Bargeman
    Anna Beesley  40
and it is this Thomas, married to Anna (I presume they are husband and wife) that I am particularly trying to identify.

Oxford is full of Beesleys and so many are Samuel, Thomas, William that I feel as if I am going round in circles!!!

Can anyone please help me find Thomas and Anna' ancestors?