Author Topic: Question about Belfast city directory  (Read 509 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Question about Belfast city directory
« on: Saturday 16 March 19 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Good Day,

Can someone please advise regarding the Belfast City Directory and how the names of the occupants are entered.

I know that from 1912-1918, my Great Uncle, Thomas Graham lived at 16 Oakley Street, Belfast.
In 1924 my Great Grandparents moved back to Ireland from Leeds, England and lived at 16 Oakley Street up until 1932. Their Grandson (My Father ) was born in that house in 1926.  My questions is the name entered for 1924 says Mrs. Graham. My Great Grandfather was still alive at that time and died in 1930. My question is why would they not enter my Great Grandfather's name for 1924. I understand of course by 1932 he had passed. He was retired so not away working anywhere, and both my Great Grandparents are buried together in Belfast, so can anybody advise how the names of the occupants were determined? Trying to piece together the movements of the family from Leeds, to Northern Ireland.
Thanks in advance,

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Belfast city directory
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 March 19 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue, I'm just guessing that it was because they are renting from Mrs Graham?  However, I expect someone with more knowledge will get back to you soon.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 March 19 20:20 GMT (UK) »
As with any city directory much of the information is word of mouth (if you aren't in the neighbours might give details) so wouldn't read too much into it.
However, to be sure what might have happened, what you need to look at is Valuation records. Those for Northern Ireland are online (free) from the printed version of Griffith's Valuation (mid-1800s) until c1930. Changes in occupiers weren't recorded as soon as they happen but should be more accurate than a directory entry.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/information-and-services/search-archives-online/valuation-revision-books

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 March 19 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the suggestions. I checked the valuation records and it seems that from 1916-1930, the person attached to  #16 Oakley Street was a Joseph Falloon? Maybe my Great Grandparents rented the house from this gentleman. I know for sure my Dad was born in that house in 1926 and up until 1930 when my Great Grandfather died, his record gives the Oakley Street address, so just trying to when they moved in and out of that address.

Thanks again. As always, your kindness in trying to help me is very much appreciated.
Cheers.