Author Topic: Records of Torpedoed Ships  (Read 439 times)

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Records of Torpedoed Ships
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 March 19 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Any progress on this thread?
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jjam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 March 19 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seaweed,

I did indeed have help from Mr Lowrey over at uboat.net as you suggested.  I have been translating as best I can, the KTB OF U 53.  It provided a little information, but not a lot. Also I have the TNA file from ADM 137 3986 which again provides a little information, mostly about gun positions etc.  I did find out that the survivors were in a boat for 26 hours before being picked up, so that was good to know. 

Would be great to find survivor accounts, but I don't think that would be possible even if there were ever any to begin with! 

Thanks again for sending me over to Uboat, was very helpful! 
Bennett, De La Sierna/Serna, Farrow, Bunton

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline seaweed

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 March 19 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the late reply.
The Admiralty did obtain Survivors Reports in WW2 but as far as I know not in WW1.
It may be of interest to look at the last Logbook and Crew Agreement of PONTIAC official number 81273, available from TNA Kew.
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2480627
All sorts of bits of paper relating to the voyage can be sometimes found in Logbooks and you may pick up a few snippets. Worth a look.

regards
SW
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

Offline jjam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 March 19 19:15 GMT (UK) »
That looks like a lot of stuff to go through!  If I ever get to Kew Iíll definitely look it up.  Thanks Seaweed
Bennett, De La Sierna/Serna, Farrow, Bunton