Author Topic: Roadblock to family tree! How can I get around it?  (Read 4342 times)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Roadblock to family tree! How can I get around it?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 March 19 03:35 GMT (UK) »
This is from the passenger list that Chempat found.  It looks like Jerh was traveling with a Thomas Daig, based on the sharing of 1 box of belongings.
I included the people above so you can see what is dittoed.   They have written a date one day after the ship ported, but  if memory serves right, there was a period of time for a health check before people were let off. 
I don't think Thomas was crossed out, it looks more like the paper was folded.
I cannot make out the age of Thomas, so snip to help:

Offline Finndian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 March 19 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Ok, say that is my guy coming from Liverpool, despite him being 3 years too young for a perfect match.... he's on the ship the Florida arriving May 10, 1836. He heads to Michigan where he joins the Michigan militia in 1837 according to Bounty-land warrant application index. Could be my guy.

Full Name: Jeremiah Finn
Service Year:1837
State:Michigan
Military Unit:Michigan Militia, Capt. W. P. Patrick, Col E. Brooks
Warrant Number:55-295009
Rejected:TRUE
Conflict Period:Other Service
Served For:United States of America

Not sure what's involved with the Militia in that period but he must have time to meet Barbara Good in Michigan during that same year 1837 AND get her pregnant by November to have his first daughter on August 4, 1838.

Then I see a J. Finn on the 1840 census just outside of Detroit... husband and wife under 30 with two kids under 5 so that fits. Says both are boys, however, should be boy/girl.

So I guess I need more info on Barbra Good and when she came over... search for a marriage record. What is the best source for more facts and dates to firm this up, church records? They are roman catholic so those first two kids got baptized somewhere.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 March 19 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Because there is an abundance of J. Finn's, I think you should ignore what "could be" until you turn over every rock on what is "the for sure J. Finn".

It appears that there is no central gathering point for Catholic Records in Michigan, but that is what you really need to see.  For all you know they married there. 
https://www.aod.org/parishes/sacramental-records/find-your-records/

So from that link,  you know you need the actual parish to find the records.

You know for sure that J and B are both buried at Mt. Elliott cemetery.  They have a genealogy link: http://www.mtelliott.com/genealogy/

If they still have the records, hopefully it is possible there is a mention of what church was involved, or even just the name of the person conducting the funeral..... anything might lead you back to their church, where then you can request the records directly.  Depending on the record keeper, some of the old Catholic records have a ton of of information; a childs baptism might have the date and place of parents marriage, etc.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 March 19 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Some of the links are dead, but it does show that there are directories in existence; with some digging you might find the ones from the late 1830's:

https://sites.google.com/site/onlinedirectorysite/Home/usa/mi/wayne

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 March 19 19:32 GMT (UK) »
One possible entry in 1852, if he was a grocer at this time:
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015065252911;view=1up;seq=140

Offline Finndian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 March 19 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the great help! Jeremiah's burial "headstone location" (within in the cemetery) is unknown because a fire in 1865 destroyed all location records prior to that date. I've requested Barbara records and someone to just look for Jeremiah's headstone next to or around her headstone.

Now, I'm going to really search for these marriage records with the Catholic churches in Detroit. Jeremiah was hit by a train and died in 1855 while working on the tracks near this home... not likely a grocer in 1852 I'd say.

I see a B. Good came from London to Ellis Island on a ship called Philadelphia 26 Oct 1835 traveling with Sarah Good... both 22yo. So, that would be about 7 months before Jeremiah Finn arrived on the Florida. If these are my relatives the timing would be about right... she's pregnant by November of 1837 with their first child in Corktown, Detroit. Looking for an unknown sister? named Sarah that might have traveled with Barbara.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 March 19 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Polk's Detroit City Directory 1855/6  shows a laborer, Jeremiah Finn living at 197 Abbott.

With enough digging for addresses, you might be able to find the nearest Catholic Church to hunt for records.

Maybe look for a marriage for that Sarah Good in Detroit.  It might have parent names!

Don't give up, lots of rocks to turn over yet.  :)

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 March 19 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Jeremiah's burial location is unknown

He's in the same cemetery as Barbara; see Reply #3, second link.

Edit: I see where you are getting that from.  I took it to mean he is in that cemetery, but the plot is unknown.   

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 March 19 20:01 GMT (UK) »
From http://nighttraintodetroit.com/2010/11/09/detroit-history-tour-mt-elliott-cemetery/

Robert Elliott was one of the original purchasers and planners of Mt. Elliott Cemetery, which was to be the cemetery of Trinity Catholic Church (one of the first English-speaking Catholic congregation in the West). The sale was completed in August of 1841; Robert Elliott died a month later after a construction accident at St. Mary’s Church. He was the first internment at Mt. Elliott.