Author Topic: John Wood of Hinckley?  (Read 420 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
John Wood of Hinckley?
« on: Saturday 16 March 19 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I'm having trouble pinpointing a set of parents for a John Wood.
He marries Martha Bilson 24 Jan 1793 St Mary de Castro, Leicester
They have the following children -
William Wood 1793
John Wood 1795
Thomas Wood 1797
Ann Wood 1800
James Wood 1802
Mary Wood 1804
Timothy Wood 1810
All are baptised at St Mary de Castro.

Martha dies 1827 St Nicholas, Leicester aged 63 with a birthdate of 1764 but I think she is the Martha Bilson bapt 1768 Whetstone.

I cant find John on the 1841 census but in 1851 he is living with his son James and is listed as -
John Wood aged 82 born 1769 a Framework Knitter born Hinckley, Leic.
I have his burial as 1852 Leicester aged 85, so a birthdate of 1767.

So I have a rough birth date of 1767-1769 but I cant find a John Wood of Hinckley.
A John Wood is bapt 1773 Hinckley son of John and Mary but I think this is the 'John Wood, Infant' who is buried 1779 Hinckley?
There is a John Wood bapt in Sapcote 1767 but there is a subsequent marriage and death for this John.
There is a John Wood bapt 1765 Stole Golding to a Thoams and Mary but once again a subsequent infant burial is found.
A John Wood is bapt 1764 in Nuneaton, Warw 4.4 miles from Hinckley but there appears to be a marriage for this John.

There is a John Wood bapt 1767 Bulkington, Warw 7 miles from Hinckley baseborn son of Catherine Wood?

A William Wood marries an Ann Haddon in Hinckley 1768. There are no baptisms for this pair as far as I cound see but this William dies in 1784 and leaves a Will listing his wife Ann and gives her property for the use of her and her Heirs. Would this imply there is children? In the Will of Anns father Joseph Haddon 1781 he mentions money and interest to be paid to the child or children of his daughter Ann Wood after her decease for their maintenance and education. Is this implying that there is indeed children?
I can see that William Wood was baptised a non conformist in the 1740s so maybe the they baptised as such?

Any help appreciated
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq