Author Topic: Hall, Enfield, Middlesex & London  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Enfield Medcalf

• RootsChat Member
  • Genealogists do it with dead people. Mostly!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hall, Enfield, Middlesex & London
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 March 19 23:53 GMT (UK) »
From reply 12

William's father William was a publican

looks more like postmaster to me on the 1839 marriage

Definitely Postmaster
Carole, it is deffo Postmaster there but it is also recorded as publican and licensed victualler
Ashe-Marlborough. Auchincloss-Glasgow. Dickey-Ireland,Scotland,USA. Ebben-Enfield. Fewins-St Austell, Ohio
Hall-Mdx & Northumberland. Heard/Hurd/Herd-Dry Drayton Cambs. Hillhouse-Scotland,USA.  Horton-West Bromwich,Greenwich Kent, Mdx, Surrey.  Kelly-High Beech, Essex.  Livermore-Enfield.  Malyon-Mdx.  Medcalf-Enfield Mdx, Cheshunt Herts.  Metcalfe-Dry Drayton Cam.  Saunders-Uxbridge, Enfield.  Sleath-Enfield.  Snelling-Storrington.  Stretton-Greenwich,Lee.  Wiltshire-Enfield.  Woodfield-Enfield

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 March 19 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Carole, it is deffo Postmaster there but it is also recorded as publican and licensed victualler

Where and when?

It’s Postmaster in 1840 marriage to Isabella Turner too

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 March 19 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure you are researching the right William Hall snr?

If you have mistaken his occ and matched a census entry for a publican instead of a postmaster???
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 March 19 00:17 GMT (UK) »

Where and when?

It’s Postmaster in 1840 marriage to Isabella Turner too

AND at the 1859 marriage to Rhoda Elizabeth Gladman

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 March 19 00:43 GMT (UK) »
So if 3 marriage certs show his fathers occ as postmaster - where have you got publican from?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Enfield Medcalf

• RootsChat Member
  • Genealogists do it with dead people. Mostly!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 17 March 19 10:16 GMT (UK) »
So if 3 marriage certs show his fathers occ as postmaster - where have you got publican from?
I have just looked back through my paperwork, my Family Tree pc file and my Fathers paperwork.
Originally all the Hall information came from 2 Hall family members.  My GG Uncle in the US and from a nephew of his in Essex.
William sr was listed as publican/licensed victualler, postmaster and some form of policeman.
The Police truncheon was kept by my gg uncle in California, I saw it when I visited, it was painted with his name on.

Looking back this morning through pages of paperwork it looks that the 1839 marriage cert was transcribed as publican instead of podtmaster.  This cert has William jr shown as servant.

The 2nd marriage to Isabella Turner shows both of their addresses as Old Street.  I think this is where the confusion arose because William jr from 1839 lived at and ran the Nags Head in Enfield.  Therefore the thought was that his Father William was a publican/lv at that address.  Further to that, Isabella's Father James is a Licensed Victualler but at a pub in Wiltshire.

I must apologise to you for that confusion.

William jr 3rd marriage does not appear to be available. On the 1851 Caroline Mary Hall is shown as his wife and her death cert shows her as Caroline Mary Hall. I know this does not prove they were married but as he married numbers 1, 2 & 4 I hoped he had married Caroline Mary ? at some stage.
Ashe-Marlborough. Auchincloss-Glasgow. Dickey-Ireland,Scotland,USA. Ebben-Enfield. Fewins-St Austell, Ohio
Hall-Mdx & Northumberland. Heard/Hurd/Herd-Dry Drayton Cambs. Hillhouse-Scotland,USA.  Horton-West Bromwich,Greenwich Kent, Mdx, Surrey.  Kelly-High Beech, Essex.  Livermore-Enfield.  Malyon-Mdx.  Medcalf-Enfield Mdx, Cheshunt Herts.  Metcalfe-Dry Drayton Cam.  Saunders-Uxbridge, Enfield.  Sleath-Enfield.  Snelling-Storrington.  Stretton-Greenwich,Lee.  Wiltshire-Enfield.  Woodfield-Enfield