Author Topic: Culloden and Bannockburn  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Culloden and Bannockburn
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 April 19 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Mister, will fill a few hours kid!  ;D

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 August 21 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hello from Australia.  I visted Culloden in 2019 with daughter and adult grandson and it was a  very moving experience for all of us as we have three Fraser brothers ancestors killed at Culloden.  I have only just found out their first names.  They were born Kilvarock....Alexander in 1727, Donald 1721 and Hugh 1723.  Their surviving brother James my 4 xggrandfather was born in 1725.  Their father was Alexander Fraser or McIan born 1695 Kilvarock. Mother unknown . Their parents died in 1740. This information is as accurate as far as I know.  I do not know how to find them listed in the battle  as I am unfamiliar with places there or how they may be listed.  I am wondering if there is any way to know if James was at the battle with his brothers and survived.  James descendants are buried. at Wardlaw Kirkhill.  Would anyone be able to help me find out anything about them please.

Offline RobertHauteville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 January 23 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if there is a researched list of the participants of these two battles? I expect Bannockburn would be the bigger challenge being 1314 as supposed to Culloden in 1746. There a few mentioned of casualties on their Wikipedia pages but I wondered if perhaps an academic study had taken place? Any thoughts, comments welcome!

The Chronicles tend to list only high status leaders & prisoners but you can get a fair idea of the run of the mill Norman knights from the summons and protection lists in the Patent Rolls, etc, issued at the start of the campaign. As to the many archers, billmen & servants forget it.

If you are really interested read "Bannockburn: The Scottish War and the British Isles" by Michael Brown & "Bannockburn: Battle for Liberty" by John Sadler to get more ideas. They both include references to original sources.