Author Topic: The Mary Rose.  (Read 1813 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Mary Rose.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 March 19 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes I heard it as 30 years too. Maybe my hearing is going as well  ;)

From a historical point of view they were presenting things as new that have been known for a long time. The quest to find a living descendant of one of the two named people on the Mary Rose seemed a waste of time and added nothing as far as I could see. Just hope their ethnicity DNA testing was more reliable and fact based than Ancestry's ( a bit of wishful thinking there methinks!)

The one thing I took away from it was the Museum looked good and i wouldn't mind visiting if i was in the area.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 March 19 23:51 GMT (UK) »
i went to the Museum last northern summer. It was fantastic.

Offline jfchaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 March 19 09:24 GMT (UK) »
On a trip to Portsmouth during holiday 2 years ago, we spent a lovely day viewing the 3 ships.
Looking forward to viewing the recorded programme.
JFCH

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I visited in the early days, when the ship was in a temporary structure. Despite the small amount of exhibition space, it was a fantastic place to visit.

The really impressive sight is, of course, the ship. Having seen it only through the window of the TV screen, the sheer size of it surprised me. It is HUGE.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.