Author Topic: Can I find out if Grandad was evacuated from Dunkirk?  (Read 153 times)

Offline soupdragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can I find out if Grandad was evacuated from Dunkirk?
« on: Sunday 17 March 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
My mother was always insistent that her Dad was evacuated from the beach at Dunkirk. I'm not sure whether I can apply for his service records as I'm only his granddaughter (so not Next of Kin). Is there any other way of finding out if Mum was right?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can I find out if Grandad was evacuated from Dunkirk?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 19 16:25 GMT (UK) »
If he died more than 25 years ago, you don't need to be next-of-kin to apply ;D

If he died within the last 25 years then you can still apply, but you will need NOK's permission. You will also get less information.

In either case you will need a Death Certificate (to prove when he died).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.