Author Topic: Please help me find my father!  (Read 866 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me find my father!
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Apparently Ancestry have more "users" so you may find more matches.

If you test with Ancestry you can upload your raw data to other sites including "My Heritage" (though it has recently changed - it used to be free to view all aspects of results, now you need to pay to access full results though cost is minimal).

You would need to check for yourself but I think FTDNA's Autosomal test is the cheapest. However you cannot upload your raw data to Ancestry. (though you can do so the other way around). There are often good special offers at FTDNA too (I don't know about the other companies).

It is generally a good idea to get someone from your mother's family to test as well, so any matches you do not have in common can be assumed to be from your father's side.

Good luck.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Researcher and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Please help me find my father!
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 07:42 GMT (UK) »
I see your birth was re-registered after your mum married and your surname changed to that of your stepfather.  Did he legally adopt you?

An adoption never creates a re-registration, but this is important information.

What appears to have happened is the birth was re-registered after the marriage (under the Legitimacy Act) which would require them to have claimed that the step-father was the father of the child. So there would not have been an adoption.

Surnames for the child are not shown on birth registers (in E/W) until 1969 so it isn't a case of changing a surname to that of the father - but as the birth is now to a married couple, then it is indexed just under the "father's" surname and not the mother's.

But, as always, getting a certificate from that 1966 entry to see exactly what it says is essential.

If there had been an adoption, then any certificate issued after that from the 1964 entry would be annotated in the margin as "adopted".

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.