Author Topic: Alvice/Alvis Hammond  (Read 869 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alvice/Alvis Hammond
« on: Monday 18 March 19 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, William Hammond married Rachel Rowe sept q 1860 East Stonehouse. Their first daughter Alvice/Alvis was one month old at 1861 census.They went on to have 7 further children between 1863-1880.Emily 1863, William 1865, Blanche 1867, Maud Mary 1872, Alfred Ernest 1874, Arthur Edward 1875 and Lillian 1880 all born East Stonehouse. Found all gro birth refs for children apart from Alvice/Alvis. Can anyone find baptisms for any of them and I also cannot find any of the family in 1871. Any leads appreciated.

John

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alvice/Alvis Hammond
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 March 19 14:34 GMT (UK) »
I wonder -on FreeBMD

March Qtr 1861 Abes Hammand   E Stonehouse    5b   300

Kay

Added- maiden name Rowe on GRO

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 19 14:35 GMT (UK) »
They married 12 September 1860 - image is on FindMyPast.
Baptisms for Blanche, Arthur Edward, Lilias Gertrude  and Maud Mary are also on F M P
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 March 19 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thank you both for your help. Now to try and find in 1871.

John

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hope this is of help.

Aves is my 2nd great aunt. She was born 19 Feb 1861 at 4 Brownlow Street, East Stonehouse (birth cert). I can not find her in the 1871 census either. From what I have managed to reconstruct, she married Robert Prior (bQ1 Bishops Stortford Herts) at St George the East, Middlesex on 23 Apr 1883 (Ancestry.com. London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932). The marriage record shows the father as William Hammond, coal porter. This was his job when he fell and drowned while loading a ship on 27 Sep 1883 at Plymouth.

In the 1881 census (RG11; Piece: 434; Folio: 62; Page: 23) she is recorded as Alice Prior living with Robert as her cousin, so it appears she took his name before they were married. There is no record in the BMD of Alice Prior born in Plymouth around 1861. Sadly, they both seem to disappear from the records after that so, apart from these clues, it is not possible to track them. If this is the right woman there is a death record for an Avis Prior Q4 1933 Lewisham London (Volume: 1d Page: 1116).

Regards
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 16:55 BST (UK) »
I forgot to add that one of the witnesses at the marriage was Albert Kingshott. Aves and Albert are first cousins and it is such an unusual surname that it counts as a strong piece of evidence for me.

Regards
Lincs: Holton, Brewer, Keal, Blood, Pycock. Notts: Holton, Jones, Lawson, Bull, Brownley. Devon: Gayett(e), Hammond, Jewell, Lewarn, Squire. Cornwall: Giddy, Hoskyn, Lewarn(e), Rowe. Salop: Jones, Beddoes, Rowe. Leics: Rimmington. Surrey: Hammond, Luff, Mayhew.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Barnford, many thanks for for info. I can tell you that Robert and Avice went their own ways, don't think they divorced though. Robert set up home with my Great grandmother Mary Woodley Gosling 1860-1952. THEY NEVER MARRIED. They had 6 children Maud F 1888, Henrietta L 1890, Clara May 1894 (my grand mother) Robert Francis 1897, Grace Violet 1903 and Hilda Beatrice 1907. I always wondered why they had never married and it was not until earlier this year that I checked to see if Robert had/was married and shore enough he was--all became clear. Thanks for contacting.

John

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 17:22 BST (UK) »
That explains a lot. Thank you very much for casting some light on one of them. Now I just need to try and track the other one.

Regards

Offline Barnford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 July 19 18:20 BST (UK) »
Based on what you have told me I have now found that she moved in with a John McCarthy and they had a daughter Mary Margaret Q4 1891 Whitechapel. The GRO birth index confirms the Mother Maiden Name as Hammond. She takes the name McCarthy but they never marry which confirms the lack of divorce you mentioned.

The information I gave you about her death is not correct as she was not known as Prior and I have now found her in the 1891 and 1901 census. If you are interested she died 02 Sep 1902 in Whitechapel. Another mystery solved.

Regards