Author Topic: photographing gravestones  (Read 693 times)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: photographing gravestones
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Following on from my earlier post, have a look at the photos posted.
I am working towards my wife in the distance to locate a grave.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 21:19 GMT (UK) »
If youíre working towards a specific grave number, make sure you have the right one. The last time we went searching, I was working on a photocopy of a photocopy. I made my way uphill whilst my wife went in from the other end of the bramble patch. I couldnít understand whey the layout didnít match the plan and the grave it should have been had the wrong name so we eventually gave up. Extracting myself from the jungle, I found it, right by the path. It even had an infantís name on the kerb we werenít aware of!

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 09:15 GMT (UK) »
I also used a map which showed the grave No's (all 3000 of them) which I had viewed on previous occasions.
But being part of a large team over a number of years we had transcribed the grave info and took photos to confirm.
 Brian 
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline malijibic

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your tips and pointers.  Hopefully I will get some half decent photos but I will also take some photos of the church.  I now wish that I had thought to do that when there were no problems  in getting good photos of the gravestones and their inscriptions 
Diolch yn fawr

Offline esseco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 March 19 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Nothing to say about the photographing of the gravestone - are you allowed to remove lichen from the stone, and how would you go about it. Anyone?
Esse, Cooper, Mahony/Mahoney, Krause, Klemke, Schreiber - UK/Australia/Europe/

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 March 19 11:50 GMT (UK) »

It may not be that Illegible!

e.g.  http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/roscommon/photos/tombstones/roscommon-shankill/target2.html

If I stood directly in front of this it would be completely illegible.... go to where you can read it best!

Offline pipscwic

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 March 19 19:15 GMT (UK) »
borrowing a friend's pc to reply and using her account, (forgotten my password)
esseco   I know nothing about the rules regarding lichen on a gravestone but cleaning an old gravestone might be considered defacing it.  However I do keep my parent's gravestone clean.
hallmark  thanks for the tip, sounds simple but I would probably have stood square in front of it.
Thank you

Offline esseco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi pipscwic,
That was my thought too.  I am trying to find a book I thought I read about it in but so far still looking.

Cheers,
Di
Esse, Cooper, Mahony/Mahoney, Krause, Klemke, Schreiber - UK/Australia/Europe/

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 March 19 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Nothing to say about the photographing of the gravestone - are you allowed to remove lichen from the stone, and how would you go about it. Anyone?
In a previous thread I lightly threw this up ( from Australia) and got told in no uncertain terms removing lichen is illegal in the UK
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072