Author Topic: Gravestone in USA  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gravestone in USA
« on: Tuesday 19 March 19 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone assist me to discover the names and dates on the attached please?
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestone in USA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 09:43 GMT (UK) »
These were the dates on the FIND A GRAVE entry which was listed on the USA thread. Do you suspect these dates are wrong John.  ???

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/137171150/clifton-w_-johnson

Note :- Prudence - we proved was not yours on this entry.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone assist me to discover the names and dates on the attached please?
Cr

JOHNSON J.B. 1830-1911
JOHNSON Mary A. wife 1832-1921
JOHNSON Eloise dau May 19, 1890, 17y 11m
JOHNSON Walter P. son 1861, 5m
JOHNSON Sarah E. 1871, 11y
JOHNSON Clifton W. 1877, 4m

https://wayne.nygenweb.net/cemeteries/lyrurcem2.html

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 08:52 GMT (UK) »
The younger children's passing dates are different to what I'd recorded on my tree and I wanted them to be as correct as possible, Sandra. I'm not disputing your other superb information on the older ones and their parents. Walter P in particularly I had as b and d in Yorkshire aged 3 but it seems he was b and d in New York unless of course he was the 2nd son given that name?
Thank you RJ137 for the link and info.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm thinking that Walter P who passed away in 1861 aged 5 months must have been the 2nd son to have been given the name Walter because the 1st one was b and d in Yorkshire 1859-1864. I wonder when the Johnsons' emigrated to the USA, I reckoned it was 1866-1868 but that doesn't seem to be the case? They were in Yorkshire at 1861 including Walter Preston Johnson but in the USA at 1870 so how could Walter P have passed away in NY in 1861?
Cr

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 10:01 GMT (UK) »
The headstone for the Johnson family was possibly erected after the death of both the parents John and Mary. Whoever, organised the stone added previous members of the family who had passed and the details have changed over the years in between ???
Or they could have meant Walter was 5 years and this is lost in translation of the records.  ::) Or as you say could have been a second son of the same name (but perhaps unlikely  ::))
Obviously the immigration date was after the birth of Thomas Walter Johnson registered at Pocklington March 1865.
The census recorded immigration of 1865/1866/1868 - we know these can vary but Mary/Mattie seemed to be born NY 1867 according to 2 census records.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes I was thinking that Walter was shown there as a remembrance  but then again who would've remembered that after 1911? More likely surely they remembered those born in USA? According to the 1900 census they emigrated in 1866 and Mary said that she'd had 12 children, 7 still living. So wondering if Mary b c 1867 passed away prior to 1900 as the other 7 seem to be accounted for?
Cr

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 10:27 GMT (UK) »

Information may have come from a family bible ........... ???

Mary/Matie was never mentioned in those obituaries , seemed strange she was'nt included on the headstone inscription if she died single but then she could have married and be buried under a different name  ???

Sandra

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Problem is that I can't find Mary after 1880 when she was about 12, so could've married between 1880-1890-don't know age of consent for US at that time? Also can't find a birth record for her-didn't they record them?
Cr