Author Topic: Falmouth brick wall - BASTIAN / BASTIEN family 1700s-early 1800s  (Read 959 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Falmouth brick wall - BASTIAN / BASTIEN family 1700s-early 1800s
« on: Tuesday 19 March 19 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have had a long standing brick wall with ancestors in Falmouth. As I am visiting Cornwall for the first time this spring I would really like to see if I can break it down at all before I go.

William Bastian (sometimes Bastien) married Elizabeth Osborne at Falmouth on 19 August 1810. The marriage does not seem to give any further information.

They had 3 known children:

1. William Thomas Bastian. Born Falmouth, Cornwall, 22 October 1811 & baptised 1 January 1812. Married Susan Harris Rodda in Stratford, London 19 August 1833. Died London area 1871-1881.

2. Elizabeth Osborne Bastian. Born Falmouth 24 March 1814 & baptised 8 April 1814. Married John Pasmore/Passmore at Limehouse, Middlesex, 29 April 1832. Died Bethnal Green, Middlesex, 1878.
(Some online family trees have her as marrying John Richards Trevarthin in Crowan, Cornwall, on 31 August 1833. This is not correct. That 1833 marriage names the bride as 'Elizabeth Bastian' while the 1832 marriage in Limehouse names the bride as 'Elizabeth Osborne Bastain [sic]'. Later census confirms Elizabeth Osborne Bastian/Pasmore's birthplace as Falmouth.)

3. John Bastian. Born Falmouth 2 May 1817 & baptised 29 November 1817. Assumed to be the John Bastian aged 11 buried at Falmouth 10 February 1828.

As siblings William and Elizabeth Osborne were married in the London area in 1832 and 1833 and their sibling John died in Cornwall in 1828, it would appear that perhaps the whole family moved to the London area between 1828 and 1832.

A witness on Elizabeth junior's 1832 marriage is 'Elizeabth [sic] Osbourne' and I assume this was her mother signing with her single name. An Elizabeth Bastin aged 41 of Limehouse was buried at St Anne Limehouse on 27 June 1832 which might well be her. However this is not certain.

I would really like to be able to find out both the origins and the fates of William Bastian and Elizabeth Osborne and would really appreciate any help.

I don't think any settlement certificates, apprenticeships and poor law records survive for Falmouth for the period but I would be grateful to anyone who might know what other records might be able to help me.

Thank you,
Jon