Author Topic: That ONE family  (Read 3246 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: That ONE family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 24 March 19 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Ireland, Scotland or England as birthplace isn't as frustrating as "parish not known " on a death certificate here in Australia. My great grandfather was born in England; you would have thought they could have written that at least.  ::)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 24 March 19 22:20 GMT (UK) »
well maybe we can help with that :)  them as knows the counties :) 

names and counties often tie up.. so it can be a start sometimes.. its a very long shot.. but thats the fun of this game.

xin

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 24 March 19 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Or they get to live to the 1851 census but put "NK" under birthplace. Not Known.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 25 March 19 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Or they get to live to the 1851 census but put "NK" under birthplace. Not Known.

I have one ancestor who died about a month before the 1851 census based on his burial and another who died a couple of weeks before civil reg started in Scotland.  Had they held on a couple more weeks I would have had a certificate that hopefully confirmed the names of the parents.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 25 March 19 19:33 GMT (UK) »

I have one ancestor who died about a month before the 1851 census based on his burial and another who died a couple of weeks before civil reg started in Scotland.  Had they held on a couple more weeks I would have had a certificate that hopefully confirmed the names of the parents.

I have a James Smith not born in county of Oxfordshire, living in Oxford City itself in 1841. He died in 1849 so 2 years before the 1851 census so I have no idea where he was born but I may have a lead as one of the witnesses to his wedding was Hannah Hawkes, and her aunty Elizabeth Hawkes married a Joseph Smith in Marsh Gibbon, Bucks. However with a name like Smith, you cannot be too sure. Would love to view Marsh Gibbon marriages and examine witnesses. James Smith was a tin plate worker and a Thomas Smith of Marsh Gibbon was a tin plate worker. He died in 1847. So I have some leads at least.

I have an ancestor who was in London in 1841, and she was not born in county. She died in Feb 1851 in Marylebone Workhouse, just 6 weeks before the 1851 census.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain