Author Topic: One church or two  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
One church or two
« on: Tuesday 19 March 19 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I have been collecting baptism and marriage information from a well known Irish website.

I have three Baptisms where the Church is referred to as TRINITY WITHIN (CATHED.) in County Waterford These baptisms took place in 1811, 1816 and 1819. In all cases the Denomination of the person being baptised is recorded as Roman Catholic.

I also have a marriage from the same website in  3rd July 1826 the Church is referred to as HOLY TRINITY WITHIN WATERFORD CITY.  Both the bride and the groom are recorded as being Church of Ireland but a note states 'MARRIED BY LICENCE Officiator: HOBSON ARCHDEACON Register B/M1812-1845 Place of Marriage St. Patricks. Groom George Audley; bride Sarah Robinson.

My questions are:
Is TRINITY WITHIN (CATHED) and HOLY TRINITY WITHIN WATERFORD CITY two names for the same church?

Was it usual for Roman Catholic Baptisms and Church of Ireland marriages to take place at the same church?

Where exactly did the marriage tale place as it seems to imply both HOLY TRINITY WITHIN WATERFORD CITY & ST Patricks?

Thanks in anticipation of your advice

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: One church or two
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Which well know web site?
The RC church in Waterford has lots of names
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/1109
Click on the show more/less

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Sinann,
Thanks for your reply.
The website I was referring to is Rootsireland.
The link you have given me is to Catholic Parish Registers at the National Library of Ireland.

Rootsireland gives a marriage 3rd July 1826 between George Audley and Sarah Robinson at Holy Trinity within Waterford City and indicates that both the bride and groom were 'Church of Ireland'
In the link you gave me there are the registers of a Roman Catholic  Holy Trinity Church in Waterford and looking through the registers for that Church I cannot see the above marriage.  So does that mean that there was a Roman Catholic Holy Trinity Church in Waterford City and a separate Church of Ireland Holy Trinity Church in Waterford City.

Similarly in the link you gave me to to the Roman Catholic Registers at the National Library of Ireland there is a separate church of St Patrick's within Waterford City. The Registers from the link for this church does not include marriage registers for 1826 and yet Rootsireland also suggests that the marriage may have taken place at St Patrick's.  Hence my confusion are there both Roman Catholic Churches and Church of Ireland churches in Waterford City with the same name or am I missing something obvious?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 19:26 GMT (UK) »

Missing something obvious!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 19:28 GMT (UK) »

A quick google of   Holy Trinity Church  Waterford City

gives this   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nk1/

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 20:01 GMT (UK) »
hallmark,

So what you are telling me  is that within a mile of each other is:
'The Cathedral of the the Most Holy Trinity' and 'The Church of the Most Holy Trinity, Ballybricken'.  Both are Roman Catholic and both in Waterford City, but one is a Cathedral and one a Church.

The Catholic Registers at the NLI website has the following many variant names for one of the above churches (presumably the Cathedral): Cathedral Of The Most Holy Trinity, Waterford City, Holy Trinity, Trinity Within, Waterford City, Cathedral parish, Trinity Within, Holy Trinity and St. Michael's and Stephen's, Waterford City, St. Stephen's, Waterford City, Holy Trinity, Waterford City, St. Michael's, Waterford City, St. Michael's and Stephen's, St. Peter's, Waterford City

So in which church did my Church of Ireland bride and  Church of Ireland groom marry?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the sources page for Waterford, it lists the parishes for RC and COI on RootsIreland
http://waterford.rootsireland.ie/generic.php?filename=centres/waterford/sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Most Holy Trinity Christ Church appears to be the COI one
http://cashel.anglican.org/?page_id=1922
I assume this is the one called Trinity on the RootsIreland sources page

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile