Author Topic: One church or two  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: One church or two
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 March 19 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sinann,
Thanks for your reply. I think I am now starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and conclude that within a mile of each other in the City of Waterford there are three churches with almost identical names namely:
 'The Cathedral of the the Most Holy Trinity, Waterford City', a Roman Catholic Cathedral
 'The Church of the Most Holy Trinity, Ballybricken, Waterford City' a Roman Catholic Church and
 'The Cathedral of The Holy Trinity, Christ Church, Waterford City; a Church of Ireland Cathedral.

I just hope that I never get invited to a marriage in Waterford as obviously I will end up in the wrong church!!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 May 19 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann,
Thanks for your reply. I think I am now starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and conclude that within a mile of each other in the City of Waterford there are three churches with almost identical names namely:
 'The Cathedral of the the Most Holy Trinity, Waterford City', a Roman Catholic Cathedral
 'The Church of the Most Holy Trinity, Ballybricken, Waterford City' a Roman Catholic Church and
 'The Cathedral of The Holy Trinity, Christ Church, Waterford City; a Church of Ireland Cathedral.

I just hope that I never get invited to a marriage in Waterford as obviously I will end up in the wrong church!!

I see you finally got to the correct answer. There are of course two cathedrals in Waterford. They both have the same dedication.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Deesider

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 May 19 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer,

With the kind help of a number of people I as you say, finally got there!!

How confusing to have two Cathedrals and a Church in the same city with identical dedications.

Could it happen anywhere else?