Author Topic: Pawsons yard  (Read 1390 times)

Offline wayne69

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pawsons yard
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies to my question. Today, I discovered that Pawsons Yard was situated near Long Lane in the city of York. I am unaware as to whether it still exists.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the replies to my question. Today, I discovered that Pawsons Yard was situated near Long Lane in the city of York. I am unaware as to whether it still exists.

Where did the address "Pawson's Lane" come from? Census? ER? Certificate? Somewhere else?

If you would like some help trying to find out if the place still exists it would help to know your source.

I have found Long Close Lane in York. Is Long Lane a different street?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 23:16 GMT (UK) »
The OP must have meant that Pawson's Yard was in County of York rather that the City of York.  :)

York is a city in North Yorkshire Ruskie  :)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 23:43 GMT (UK) »
The OP must have meant that Pawson's Yard was in County of York rather that the City of York.  :)

York is a city in North Yorkshire Ruskie  :)
Carol

:)
Yes, I realise that.  :)

I was referring to the mention of a Pawson's Yard in Knaresborough as found by Pat. I wondered if the OP meant that Pawson's Yard was in the (County of) York ie Yorkshire, rather than York as in the city.

No matter. It is confirmed that the OP means the city of York, so the Knaresborough Pawson's Yard is the wrong one anyway.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 March 19 10:42 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm that Pawson’s Yard was off Long Close Lane, I think at the George Street end:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18.988850273569344&lat=53.9545&lon=-1.0745&layers=168&right=BingHyb

It was between number 7 Long Close Lane and number 9 Long Close Lane. There were a number of other “Yards” also along that road.

The buildings on Long Close Lane today seem newer. Post war? 60s?  :-\

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 March 19 20:46 GMT (UK) »
On the 1901 census Walter Pevetor (Ancestry) age 30 with Mother Frances, sister Ada, etc is living at 2 Pawson's Yard, Long Close Lane, just for information.

Added: Pevetor looks like Proctor.
2,4, 6 and 8 Pawson's Yard appear to be between 9 and 7 Long Close lane.