Author Topic: SOLVED Looking for a place in Inverkeilor Parish.  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
SOLVED Looking for a place in Inverkeilor Parish.
« on: Tuesday 19 March 19 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help in pinpointing a location in Inverkeilor.

In 1792, an Elizabeth Stron(n)er was born to parents William Stron(n)er and Agnes Fin(d)lay. The place of abode is named as "Fintray".

I've done a search online and can't seem to find any reference to this place (historical also). I've lived in Angus all my days and currently live beside Inverkeilor now and it's not familiar at all. It's perhaps no longer in existence, but any help is appreciated in pinpointing this place.

Many thanks.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a place in Inverkeilor Parish.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 07:26 GMT (UK) »

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Caledonian Mercury, 11 Jan 1726
"ADVERTISEMENTS
There is at Fintray, within a short mile of the Port of Dundee, a parcel of fine Timber ....."

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Google "google books cary's new itinerary john cary 1798"

Should return (amongst other hits) a searchable version. Search for "fintray" and page/image 391 describes the route "Between Dundee and Aberbrothick".

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Pointer here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nk2/

Malky

Thanks Malky, had to have a laugh at the pun in the article which shows what the police said on Twitter.  ;D ;D ;D
At least it tells me the farm/place is still around.

Caledonian Mercury, 11 Jan 1726
"ADVERTISEMENTS
There is at Fintray, within a short mile of the Port of Dundee, a parcel of fine Timber ....."

Google "google books cary's new itinerary john cary 1798"

Should return (amongst other hits) a searchable version. Search for "fintray" and page/image 391 describes the route "Between Dundee and Aberbrothick".

Hi Hanes, thank you for looking for me. This is a different Fintr(a)y though. There is, what is now a council estate at the northern edge of Dundee called Fintry. Prior to this it was a series of farms, with a Mill also. The Fintr(a)y I am looking for is in the Parish of Inverkeilor. Inverkeilor is located north of Arbroath, some 15 miles from Fintry in Dundee.

I've had a look at John Cary's book you mentioned, however, the surrounding properties/estates are all in the Dundee area and my Fintry is in Inverkeilor between Arbroath and Montrose, rather than Dundee and Arbroath.

Many thanks though.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm stumped too. In spite of spending part of every summer all my life in the parish of Inverkeilor, I can't think of, or find, anything likely.

If you could find any 18th century estate maps or rental records, there might be some record, but according to the Old Statistical Account there were six heritors (landowners) and not all will have left records. Northesk Estates owned much of the south of the parish, the Earl of Panmure the east and (in 1855) W F Lindsay Carnegie the west end. Rait of Anniston owned the village and the land south of it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm stumped too. In spite of spending part of every summer all my life in the parish of Inverkeilor, I can't think of, or find, anything likely.

If you could find any 18th century estate maps or rental records, there might be some record, but according to the Old Statistical Account there were six heritors (landowners) and not all will have left records. Northesk Estates owned much of the south of the parish, the Earl of Panmure the east and (in 1855) W F Lindsay Carnegie the west end. Rait of Anniston owned the village and the land south of it.

I've scoured some maps and found one that's a big maybe, on this map here; https://maps.nls.uk/view/74486015 "Roy Military Antiquities of the Romans in North Britain, 1793", so the correct time period. There is a place near the coast called "Fithy", north of Auchmithie and west of Red Head. It seems too different, but a possible. I'm going along the lines of the "Fintray" had either disappeared by the time valuation rolls came around, or it was renamed. There is another Fithie/Fithy in Farnell Parish but too far from Inverkeilor I think.

Many thanks for the info re the Landowners. I will investigate further.

I also had another thought that perhaps "Fintray" is actually in another Parish and that they travelled to Inverkeilor due to easier access/it being closer/another reason? Seems a bit unlikely though, but not the first time I'd have come across that.

EDIT: The "Fithy" is more likely to be Ethie (Eithy) actually. It's in the correct area for it to be Ethie. Think the lower part of the E is faded. Ethie is currently a house used as a B&B/Hotel.
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Here is a segment of the OPR baptism record for Elizabeth Stron(n)er, Inverkeilor 1792.

It definitely appears to be "Fintray", any other thoughts though?
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Angus (Forfarshire)
Perthshire
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
I saw that too, but dismissed it immediately because I knew that it is Ethie. Ethie Castle was indeed, and may still be, run as a B and B and events venue.

It is pretty unusual for a baptism to parents residing outside the parish not to say which parish they resided in.

I can think offhand of three Fintr(a)ys - one is a huge suburb north of Dundee, another is a parish north-west of Aberdeen and the third is in the Campsie Hills north of Glasgow. There are probably others.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.