Author Topic: Christening of Robert Back [Wye area - possibly 1630s]  (Read 4440 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Christening of Robert Back [Wye area - possibly 1630s]
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 January 21 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
If you are still looking for Robert Back c1616 son of Robert, I have found what I believe is most possibly them.
From the will of Edward Back of Hinxhill 1625 mentions dtr Jane, son Arnold and wife Mary. Also Robert Back son of my brother Robert, Ann Back dtr of my brother Robert and Margaret dtr of my brother Robert.  The executors of will were Robert Back (brother), Kennett Back (kinsman) and John Bull.  Edward Back married Marie Bull dtr of John Bull 22 Nov 1612. Unfortunately have found no christening for Robert, but have found baptism for Margaret 16 Sep 1610 and a John c 9 Feb 1614 -bur 28 Feb 1614 in Hinxhill both to Robert Back. Also a marriage licence for a Margaret Back about 23 dtr of Robert Back yeoman of Chilham who consents to Henry Samon abt 22 at St Mgts. Canterbury 2 Apr 1635.

The will of Mary Back widow of Hinxhill proved 1633 refers to her son Arnold, dtr Jane Clark, brother John Bull and brother in law Robert Back.
The will of Arnold Back 1638 references Robert Back my uncle and heirs of Robert Back son of my uncle Robert Back.

Hope this may help. Should you happen to find anything else on the Back families i would be very interested.

Regards
John

Hi John

Thanks for this, it does seem to confirm what I have thought for a long time, that there was connection to Hinxhill.

The interesting thing is that some of the names you mention are familiar to me.

I'll have a look at my notes and get back to you on this [no pun untended].

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 February 21 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt
If you are still looking for Robert Back c1616 son of Robert, I have found what I believe is most possibly them.
From the will of Edward Back of Hinxhill 1625 mentions dtr Jane, son Arnold and wife Mary. Also Robert Back son of my brother Robert, Ann Back dtr of my brother Robert and Margaret dtr of my brother Robert.  The executors of will were Robert Back (brother), Kennett Back (kinsman) and John Bull.  Edward Back married Marie Bull dtr of John Bull 22 Nov 1612. Unfortunately have found no christening for Robert, but have found baptism for Margaret 16 Sep 1610 and a John c 9 Feb 1614 -bur 28 Feb 1614 in Hinxhill both to Robert Back. Also a marriage licence for a Margaret Back about 23 dtr of Robert Back yeoman of Chilham who consents to Henry Samon abt 22 at St Mgts. Canterbury 2 Apr 1635.

The will of Mary Back widow of Hinxhill proved 1633 refers to her son Arnold, dtr Jane Clark, brother John Bull and brother in law Robert Back.
The will of Arnold Back 1638 references Robert Back my uncle and heirs of Robert Back son of my uncle Robert Back.

Hope this may help. Should you happen to find anything else on the Back families i would be very interested.

Regards
John

Hi John

I have been doing some digging and I think we may be onto something here with the details you've found. If I'm right then I might be able to get both our lines back a few more generations.

I need to do some checking however but so far I've come across several bits of evidence which help.

Can you let me know the names of the children of your Thomas Back and Elizabeth Amis and when/where they were born? I know one was called Usher from your previous posts.

Also where was Elizabeth from? I also have Amis ancestors although later on in the 18th century but it would be interesting to know if there's a link with her.

Matt

Offline Nhoj0471

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 February 21 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

My Thomas Back married Elizabeth Amis in 1697. I believe they had at least 2 children Deborah 1704 & Thomas 1707 both bpt. in Wye.   Thomas bn 1707 married Mary Usher in 1740. There 1st 3 children were born in Wye. The family then moved to Westwell in 1746. 
The Will of Peter Amis 1707 (father of Elizabeth) refers to Thomas Back the younger, so I can only assume that his father was also named Thomas . Elizabeth (Amis) was born 1679 in Boughton Aluph to Peter & Elizabeth nee Taylor. 

I have found a Thomas Back born Wye 1648 to a Thomas & Elizabeth, (probably too old to be my Thomas m 1697, and also a will of a Thomas Back 1667 mentions 3 dtrs but no son.
Regards John

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 March 21 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry Im coming in on this conversation quite a bit later. Thanks, though for the information you have provided on both the Backe and Courte families, both of which are on my direct lines. On the Backe line, I am descended from the Robert Backe of Hinxhill and Luddenham (Will 1612) who was uncle to the Edward Backe who married Marie Bull, the Thomas Backe who married Joan Masters, Robert Backe and Catherine Backe who married Thomas Andrews. I have quite a lot more information on the Backe line if you are interested.
Also, on the Courte line, I am descended from Arnold A'Court, who was the brother of Clement A'Court of Waltham who married Elizabeth Hogben. I also have quite a bit more information on this family and would be happy to share with you.
Kind Regards,
Gerelle Lovegrove.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry Im coming in on this conversation quite a bit later. Thanks, though for the information you have provided on both the Backe and Courte families, both of which are on my direct lines. On the Backe line, I am descended from the Robert Backe of Hinxhill and Luddenham (Will 1612) who was uncle to the Edward Backe who married Marie Bull, the Thomas Backe who married Joan Masters, Robert Backe and Catherine Backe who married Thomas Andrews. I have quite a lot more information on the Backe line if you are interested.
Also, on the Courte line, I am descended from Arnold A'Court, who was the brother of Clement A'Court of Waltham who married Elizabeth Hogben. I also have quite a bit more information on this family and would be happy to share with you.
Kind Regards,
Gerelle Lovegrove.

Hi Gerelle

Thanks for your message. It was very nice to hear from you and I'd be really glad to hear any info you have. All I know about the Robert who married Catherine Courte is that he was born 1615 and  was the son of another Robert Back. Anything you can add would be really helpful.

As for the Courte side the furthest I've got back is Sampson Court who died in 1591.

I'll drop you a pm with my email and we can share info and research that way.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Matt

Offline Nhoj0471

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 March 21 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerelle

I also would be very pleased to hear of anything on the Backe line. As you probably read in my message my Thomas Back married 1697. He was from Kennington. Unfortunately i have come to a standstill there, but am sure somehow connects to the Backes in Hinxhill in 1500s
I look forward to hearing from you
Regards
John Back
Australia

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 March 21 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
Is there any possibility that the Thomas Back of Kennington Yeoman who married Elizabeth Amis 16/11/1697 St Margarets, Canterbury is also the Thomas Back of Kennington Blacksmith (age 24) who married Ann Saddleton (age 20) 21/7/1685 St Margarets, Canterbury? Or have you already proved they are not the same person?
Regards,
Gerelle.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 March 21 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
 If you think that they are the same person, then it is possible that Thomas Back is the son of Robert Back and Katherine Court bap. 24/3/1659 Wye.
Cheers,Gerelle.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 March 21 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Back the elder could have been his father, Robert Back's, brother, Thomas Back who married Jane Masters.!?