Author Topic: Latin preface to a Will in 1671  (Read 728 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Latin preface to a Will in 1671
« on: Wednesday 20 March 19 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if any one can point me in the right direction to determine whether the attatched preface to this Will is , more or less, always the same and where I can get a latin transcription. Many thanks, Toby.

More correctly, I believe, "Administration Bond"    T

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Latin preface to a Will in 1671
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 21:45 GMT (UK) »
There is a generic probate transcription posted by me on this site a few years ago.
Search for posts by Redroger prior to 2014 you should find it.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 March 19 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Redroger. Going back earlier than 2014 , I have reached August 2011 without success. I was looking under Common Room. Was that a mistake?
Sorry to bother you. Toby.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 March 19 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if any one can point me in the right direction to determine whether the attatched preface to this Will is , more or less, always the same and where I can get a latin transcription. Many thanks, Toby.

More correctly, I believe, "Administration Bond"    T

It is the opening ('Obligation') section of an Administration Bond, not the preface to a will, nor is it a probate clause.

Some useful samples of bonds are on the link below. The Latin wording will vary in different dioceses and at different dates.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/manuscriptsandspecialcollections/researchguidance/deedsindepth/associated/bond.aspx

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 March 19 19:54 GMT (UK) »
My fault Toby, Search under all posts. These wills are VERY similar in form usually only the venues and signatories differ substantially, though the Latin varies a bit.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 March 19 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I believe the posts referred to by Redroger above relate to probate clauses. But the extract as posted here is the first part of an administration bond.

For sample wording of bonds, please see the link in my reply #3.

For the avoidance of doubt in this case ...

Noverint universi p(er) p(rese)ntes Me Anna(m) Hornblow de Thacham

in Com(itatu) [deletion] ^Berks^ vidua(m) Teneri et firm(ite)r obligari R(everen)do in Xp(ist)o [= Christo]

P(at)ri et d(omi)no d(omi)no Setho p(ro)viden(cia) Dei Saru(m) Ep(iscop)o in Ducentis

libris leg(a)lis monetae Angliae, Solvend(is) eid(em) R(everen)do P(at)ri aut suo certo

attornato Exec(utori) Adm(inistratori)bus vel assignatis suis ad que(m) quide(m) soluc(i)onem

bene et fidel(ite)r faciend(am) obligo [deletion] Me Execu(torem) et

Adm(inistrato)res meos firm(ite)r p(er) p(rese)ntes sigillo meo sigillat(um) dat(um) vicesimo secundo

die Septembris An(n)o D(omi)ni 1671mo

Let all men know by these presents that I, Ann Hornblow of Thatcham in the county of Berkshire, widow, am held and firmly bound to the Reverend in Christ, Father and Lord, Seth,* by the providence of God Lord Bishop of Salisbury, in the sum of two hundred pounds of lawful English money, to be paid to the same Reverend Father or to his certain attorney, executor, administrators or assigns; to this very payment I well and truly bind myself, my executor and my administrators firmly by these presents; sealed with my seal; dated the twenty-second day of September in the year of the Lord 1671

* Seth Ward
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Ward_(bishop_of_Salisbury)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 March 19 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so so much Bookbox. I am absolutely delighted. Toby.