Author Topic: Family lived on canal boats  (Read 5122 times)

Offline Snape123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family lived on canal boats
« on: Wednesday 20 March 19 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to look into my family tree (surname BOULD) but up until my Nana they lived on canal boats around Staffordshire/Derbyshire and I'm struggling to find information on them. I know one of the boats they had was called 'The Palm' as i have a picture of my great gran and 2 of her sons, and when they came off the boats...I think around the 1940s...they settled in a village called Ravensdale (which no longer exists) near Tunstall in Staffordshire.
Is there a canal boat / worker archive that I could try and track them through? As I'm not sure if censuses were done for families with no fixed abode?
Thank you in advance  :)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family lived on canal boats
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried to find them on normal census?  Perhaps if you give the names/birth years for great gran and the 2 sons we could have a look  :)

I've seen people in tents on a census so maybe people on boats will be there too. 

There is also the 1939 register to check for them if they came ashore around then. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat  ;D

There are lots of information out ther here is a basic one to get yout started http://canalrivertrustwaterfront.org.uk/heritage/waterway-genealogy/ and basically you need to research the area they worked, often they would baptise children in one particular church.
1940s there are no census available to research, but you can look at the 1939 register which might give you further information

......and if you search on rootschat you will also find other questions that are relevant to you https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=706504.0
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat, the only Bould family I could locate working the canals in Staffordshire ( Stoke on Trent ) for many years was a Henry Bould b c 1859 & his son Henry b c 1893, the vessels I have located them on, are Martha/ Lily, Phoebe & Edward.
Bear in mind the canal boats would have been moored up at possibly a lock-side so would have been accessible to the enumerator in containing on a census.
The names/year of birth of your Bould relatives would really help though.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat...This might be interesting for you:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=325605.0

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Snape123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the responses, i'm quite new to researching this so I might be missing obvious points! I have some history from my Nana who was Lily Bould (Married surname WOOD) - She had 6 siblings also with the surname Bould (Ellen, Charles, Bill/William, Harry, Violet and Rose - Charles, Violet and Rose all died at a young age).

My great grandparents who worked on the canals were Ellen Theobald born 1896 in Wolverhampton (Married surname BOULD) and Charles Bould.
 And Ellen's  parents were Henry Theobald born 1856 in Derby and Ellen Davenport born in 1864 in Oldbury Staffordshire.

The picture i have shows my great gran Ellen and 2 of her sons Bill and Harry sat on 'The Palm' canal boat that i would guess to have been taken 1920's/30's as they came off the canal and settled in Ravensdale, Tunstall, staffs some time in the late 30's-40's...

I have managed to find a little information on the Theobald line but i can't find my great grandad Charles Bould anywhere! But they did seem to be a very secretive family from stories I have been told!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, so Ellen married as Helen Theobold Sept qtr 1920 Wolstanton to Charles Bould.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Snape123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, so Ellen married as Helen Theobold Sept qtr 1920 Wolstanton to Charles Bould.
Keyboard86
Quite possibly, I did find that bit of info but I don't know how to verify if it is the same person but with a different spelling?  ??? I also don't know when or where they were married and my Nana isn't around anymore to ask. Is there an easy way to try and link them up (Ellen/Helen) or is it just a case of digging?!

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Digging is the way to go . In case you can get to a parish record for the marriage

THEOBALD   Helen   m  BOULD   Charles   
1920   Kidsgrove, St Thomas   Staffordshire   Newcastle-Under-Lyme
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.