Author Topic: Parish Records at the local Parish Office  (Read 381 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Parish Records at the local Parish Office
« on: Wednesday 20 March 19 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Anyone had much experience visiting the Church (CofE) to search for records?

After exhausting online offerings, I usually use the local records office but as the church in question is extremely near to where I live, I decided to go and have a walk round the cemetery. No obvious headstone but still took some photos.  So today, I visited the Parish Office who, quote their website, will look up the parish records for a small fee... OK, I can accept a small fee.

Small fee turned out to be £30 per search!... "Oh we don't set the price, the government does"  ::)
So I asked if there were any other copies elsewhere,at the local records office perhaps... the parish clerk clearly didn't know I knew there would be 3 copies... "Oh no, only the one copy and that is held by the Church here." :o
Extremely dismayed with the response, I declined the search, but she must have seen the look on my face and took a copy of the name and date I was looking for and said she would ask the vicar nicely to see if the deceased was there, but emphasized they don't set the fees.  Well I KNOW the deceased is in the Churchyard somewhere, I just don't have the exact date and would like to take a photo of the plot for the person I'm trying to do the favour for (they live in the USA)

Friday, I shall be visiting the local RO as their website clearly states they definitely have burial copies up to 1949.. all for FREE! and 50p for a photocopy of the image. Baptisms and marriage records are also at the RO and quite recent ones too!

sorry rant over, can't believe I wrote that without one single rude word.. :-X...
now where's the wine

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records at the local Parish Office
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Small fee turned out to be £30 per search!... "Oh we don't set the price, the government does"  ::)

That is quite correct - see https://www.churchofengland.org/sites/default/files/2018-11/Fees%20Table%202019%20A4%20all%20v3.0.pdf  But I agree that 'small' isn't really accurate.

I can't comment on the availability of records and copies etc for that particular church. However, do bear in mind that burial registers don't always record the exact location of a grave.

It's also occurred to me that the statutory fee is payable for a search in the register. If the church only has a copy or a transcript, then I think any fee would be negotiable. The same would apply to a churchyard plan, since that isn't a register.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I went with a cousin to locate the burial plot of our great grandparents. It was at a small country church with a very small church yard. The vicar met us after service and brought the plan of the cemetery with her. We identified the exact location, sadly no head stone. We gave a contribution to the church to cover her service but it was not a set amount.
I think it can sometimes be down to how helpful they want to be, sadly many of the small rural churches share a vicar and services and there is not always someone available to help these days.
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Online ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 20:43 GMT (UK) »
The Church of England is NOT the government!  But it does set fees for looking up registers, which vicars may or may not enforce, and for other things.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that ArthurK, I tried looking for the fees online but only found the Church of Wales which is £22

I agree £30 isn’t a small fee. I shall visit the RO instead, parking is free too. I have found them very good in the past and usually hold copies of the graveyard layout.

Panda, I would have happily made a voluntary contribution

Never mind, the Parish clerk has now been reminded of the RO holdings  ;D
Jenny

Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 20:53 GMT (UK) »
The Church of England is NOT the government!  But it does set fees for looking up registers, which vicars may or may not enforce, and for other things.

I know, that is the bit that got me.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Makes my Durham Records Online sub seem very cheap..... I have definitely got my money’s worth out of that as I live down South and visiting is impossible.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 22:19 GMT (UK) »

From A Guide to Church of England Parochial Fees
Parochial fees have been approved by the General Synod and Parliament; they are legally payable;
16. The incumbent/priest in charge also has a right, after consulting the churchwardens of the parish, to waive any fee payable to the PCC “in a particular case”. http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nk7/

Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk