Author Topic: Changeling? - Census  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Changeling? - Census
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 23:26 GMT (UK) »
That's the first time I have seen that. It is sad but the name is preferable to imbecile.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 March 19 03:01 GMT (UK) »
I've been wracking my brain trying to recall why I knew what a changeling was.

It's just dawned on me that my first knowledge was at school.   

There was a Changeling in Shakespeare's  "A Midsummer Night's Dream":
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 March 19 03:35 GMT (UK) »
In rural New South Wales the term was used up until very recently.  I was born 1947,  and my best friend from infants school has many siblings.  Her youngest brother has Downs.  Their mum always attributed this to her age ... she used the expression ... 'change of life' . In  her 1997 will she referred to him as 'my beloved changeling' ... after he was born she had  refused to let the medicos commit him and he was raised within the family, on their farm.  I wonder if changeling indicates Downs or is it broader ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 March 19 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Hannah Kent has written an amazing book, "The Good People" set in 1820's Ireland, and based upon a true story.

Such children were treated cruelly and subjected to all sorts of "spells" and "cures' and community rituals to appease the fairies who made the substitution.

A grim but gripping narrative.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 March 19 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Libraries are fantastic ... they even still have real  books available.   :D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 March 19 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Re a child being called a changeling ,jokingly ,when they were not like most members of the family,
I can remember ordinary children who differed physically or in behaviour especially if a bit naughty,being described as being found in the back street after the dustbin lorry had done its rounds!
Alternatively the rag bone man had not collected them.
My sister was found in s rose,I in a cabbage!
Life was hard and mothers harder! ;D ;D ;D
Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 March 19 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Re a child being called a changeling ,jokingly ,when they were not like most members of the family,
I can remember ordinary children who differed physically or in behaviour especially if a bit naughty,being described as being found in the back street after the dustbin lorry had done its rounds!
Alternatively the rag bone man had not collected them.
My sister was found in s rose,I in a cabbage!
Life was hard and mothers harder! ;D ;D ;D
Viktoria.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 21 March 19 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I never knew the term was used for real people I've only ever read it in old Irish myths.  One that comes to mind the changeling turns into a very old woman when exposed to sun light. My grand mother used to talk about protection infants from the fairies at Halloween in case they were taken and a changeling left in their place.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 March 19 17:12 GMT (UK) »
just ordered that book  :)  2.75 on ebay

xin