Author Topic: Thomas Williams born Newcastle Emlyn lived in Laugharne  (Read 4102 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Williams born Newcastle Emlyn lived in Laugharne
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 March 19 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Interesting article:
'She had a husband living at Llanelly. He was a drunken, worthless man, doing nothing, arid had gone to the Union.' I have a death of Thomas Williams of the Union Workhouse in Llanelli, but could not link it to my family. Now I know where and when he died. It does sound like my family. Closer generations spent plenty of time drunk followed by Court sessions and threats of jail.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 30 March 19 09:39 GMT (UK) »
you can search for newspaper articles here, up to 1919. If you use the advanced search with Thomas Williams in one search box and Laugharne in the other, there are more articles.

https://newspapers.library.wales/

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 March 19 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Osprey, Until you posted articles I was not aware the Carmarthen Journal could be accessed online. Following your first article, I started searching, but not the Advanced Search, so was wading through all permutations. Now searching correctly I am finding some interesting articles.

At present the Reference Library and Archive Services are not available in Carmarthen because of building work/refurbishment, in bringing the two services together, which will not happen before September 2019. I now have a contact email for one of the archivists and will ask about Thomas Williams in the Union Workhouse, Llanelli; when admitted, why and the exact date he died.

Although I have only found the name of his father, I have learnt so much more about Thomas Williams, his wife and children. Laugharne was split into two social areas, upper with grand houses along the main road they were referred to as Lords and Ladies, whereas lower Laugharne with rough terraced cottages were Cats and Dogs. I though it was only my grandfather who was always in trouble, but his father and grandfather were the same, much to do with drink.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 30 March 19 10:39 GMT (UK) »
glad to be able to help! Local newspapers can be a mine of information about family, especially the sort that wouldn't have been passed down the family!

::)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 30 March 19 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I searched FreeBDM for a 1838 birth of Thomas Williams and found the Jan-Mar 1839 entry, then ordered the certificate from GRO. Assuming a birth very late in the year, could have been registered in January.
After, I used the GRO search for 1838 and Newcastle in Emlyn, with a 2 year range. It only offered three options. I know his father is John Williams from the marriage certificate, so I will wait for the birth certificate to arrive.
Thomas Williams . Mother Delves . Apr-Jun 1838 . Newcastle . Volume 17  Page 85
Thomas Williams . Mother Thomas . Jan-Mar 1839 . Newcastle in Emlyn . Volume 26  Page 621
Thomas Williams . Mother Jones . Jul-Sep 1839 . Newcastle Emlyn . Volume 26 Page 664

Could Newcastle, with mother’s name Delves, be a different one to Newcastle Emlyn? As the Delves surname originates from Cheshire/Staffordshire, I feel it might refer to Newcastle under Lyme.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 31 March 19 14:33 BST (UK) »
volume 17 did cover the area including Newcastle under Lyme. There's always the possibility that the birth wasn't registered as it was the early days of registration.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 31 March 19 14:47 BST (UK) »
When I used Family Search for John Williams with the different spouses, it only offered me one marriage in Newcastle in Emlyn Jan-Mar 1838 Volume 26 Page 698, with possible spouse Mary Griffiths or Anne Jones. That would fit with Thomas Williams . Mother Jones . Jul-Sep 1839 . Newcastle Emlyn . Volume 26 Page 664. I may have ordered the wrong certificate.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 31 March 19 15:19 BST (UK) »
the registration district of Newcastle In Emlyn covered these parishes

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/newcastle%20in%20emlyn.html

The town of Newcastle Emlyn was in the parish of Cenarth

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Cenarth

His parents may have married before civil registration or in another area. There is a marriage in Cenarth 25 March 1824 of John Williams of Bwlchmelyn and Judith Thomas of Newcastle. Judith Williams appears to be a widow in 1841 with 2 daughters, no sign of a son Thomas.

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 31 March 19 18:20 BST (UK) »
I will obtain the John Williams and Anne Jones marriage certificate and if that leads nowhere it is time to stop. As both Thomas Williams and his father John Williams state they were born at Newcastle-in-Emlyn, Cardigan, I have not looked for a marriage elsewhere. A bonus has been finding John Williams. Instead, I will find more about those already found, maybe even spreading out further, as many married into what I would call ‘Laugharne’ families.

With the reference library and archive services unavailable until September, I could only send an email asking about Thomas Williams in the Union Workhouse. The closure also restricts me to Family Search.

The information I struggle with is combining Mariner with Newcastle Emlyn, as its river does not seem navigable for anything larger than a Coracle and is a distance to work in Cardigan where I associate Mariners. Both may have moved when Thomas was young and he then became a Mariner, which means on the marriage certificate he could have any employment. There are at least three Mariners in my family, of the same generation, and all changed later in life to be Labourers. I assume as road transportation took over, fewer Mariners were required.