Author Topic: Thomas Williams born Newcastle Emlyn lived in Laugharne  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Williams born Newcastle Emlyn lived in Laugharne
« Reply #36 on: Monday 01 April 19 13:51 BST (UK) »
This morning, I had a response from Carmarthenshire Archives to my email asking about the Union Workhouse in Llanelli. The majority of records have been lost, including all relating to Thomas Williams. With other sources saying the records were with Carmarthenshire Archives, I do question when the documents were lost; and who were the custodians at the time.

I wanted to establish when the Williams family moved to Laugharne. Having found my grandfather was born in Haverfordwest, I initially thought my question had been answered, but I then found his father, also Thomas Williams was born in Laugharne. Two generations earlier, and another Thomas Williams, I found born at Newcastle in Emlyn, but I needed to be sure that he was the first, which was confirmed with John Williams. This page can now close.

My interest has switched to finding more about the spread of this family. Those who know I am researching my family tree, feel I should write the history, as so much has been written about those of ‘upper’ Laugharne and nothing about the fishermen and cocklewomen, but for it to be a warts and all, including the court appearances. Some relating to my grandfather are a great read.

Thanks Osprey for your support.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 01 April 19 20:35 BST (UK) »
the records will have been lost/destroyed before the advent of the archives. If you look at this site, you'll find how few records survive

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/NewcastleInEmlyn/

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Cardiff/
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 01 April 19 22:48 BST (UK) »
It is the www.workhouses.org.uk website that says the records at the Carmarthenshire Archives. I imagine at the time, no one considered they would be of any interest, especially as the inmates had no worth to society.

I have the 1901 Census, with Thomas Williams living in Llanelly, boarding with 12 other males and he was working as a Navvy. Then by 1911 he is an inmate of the Union Workhouse. But in October 1901, an article says he has once more absconded. That suggests he was admitted between March and October, though it would have been good to find a date and formally why he was detained.

When I re-read the marriage certificate, it says Thomas Williams was living in Laugharne at the time of the wedding, though I cannot find him in 1861 or earlier. Also that he was a Labourer, as was his father-in-law Jonah Howell, with both going on to be Mariners, so it was not until he lived in Laugharne that he became a Mariner. One record says he was a Seaman, which could mean being away for long periods, but there is nothing for Margaret Williams in 1861, when they were married and first daughter Esther had been born. I have found her in 1841 as Margret aged 7, so in 1851, she could be working in-service somewhere, though I cannot find her parents in 1851 either.