Author Topic: Prussia-Brieg military garrison  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Adam81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Prussia-Brieg military garrison
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 April 19 14:43 BST (UK) »

Peonie, many thanks.

This gets interesting. I managed to find information that von Ruits regiment was involved in the war against Kosciuszko Uprasing in 1794. He apparently took five battalions from Silesia and took over the city of Krakow.   

https://books.google.pl/books?id=ql08AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA86&dq=von+Ruits+AND+Kosciuszko&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiK0PHv2NnhAhXipIsKHa_1AAEQ6AEIaTAJ#v=onepage&q=Ruits&f=false

In some other book I red von Ruits stationed in Bytom so very near Repten.
I wonder whether my ancestor met his future wife there and then they married in Brieg garrison?
Wackermann
Molatta
Cuber
Cygan
Biela
Bielawski
Leibiniec
Dubeński
Wicher
Duzinkiewicz

Offline Peonie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I wish ................!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 April 19 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam,

It really is interesting, googling Wanckermann turns only your Posts up. The only exception is an article in Spanish about Jesuits in Peru and Chile . There is a Karl (Carlos) Wanckermann, surgeon.

https://www.scribd.com/document/363658286/Marza-Bacigalupo-Los-Jesuitas-y-la-modernidad-en-Iberoamerica-1549-1773-pdf

Hopefully it mentions where he is from.

Regards Peonie

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 April 19 08:51 BST (UK) »
For those that don't know, this was part of the 3rd Partition (1st 1772) of Poland 1795 between Russia, Prussia and Austria. Poland disappeared from the map of Europe until 1918 except for the short lived Grand Duchy of Warsaw instituted by Napoleon. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Adam81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 April 19 12:50 BST (UK) »
Peonie.
Yes Wanckermann is a very rare surname. I believe though it's a variation of Wackermann/ Wakerman one. All of the ancestors with this surname were roman-catholics.

The Charles/Carl Wanckermann was born in Bamberg (al. München) on 30. Aug. 1723.  This may be some clue.
I also found information that Regiment me.28 recruited from Brieg, Ohlau and   Kreuzburg areas. Perhaps Wanckermann amigrated to Silesia after  Silesian wars in 1741 between Austria and Prussia?

Regorian
You are correct.
This was a very sad time period for Poland.
Wackermann
Molatta
Cuber
Cygan
Biela
Bielawski
Leibiniec
Dubeński
Wicher
Duzinkiewicz

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 April 19 07:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, Adam. War of the Austrian Succession, 1740 to 1748, 1741 to 1748 for GB. We took the side of Austria and Maria Theresa, so opposed to Prussia. Led to Seven Years war 1756 to 1763, GB and Prussia vs the Rest. Our most successful war with far reaching consequences, 1759, the Year of Victories in Canada and India. Also in Europe against France.     
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.