Author Topic: Pigot's 1824 Directory Bristol  (Read 1618 times)

Offline MelodyS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pigot's 1824 Directory Bristol
« on: Thursday 21 March 19 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, posted by mistake in Somerset, it should be in Gloucestershire. -- Samuel Green (1764-1842) had a bookshop in Castle Green, Bristol, from about 1800 until 1842. I found a reference to him in the Book Traders Index of the Bodleian Library that says he was also a pharmacist in Bristol in 1824. They cite Pigot, James & Slater, Isaac directories for a number of years including 1824, so I'm guessing what I'm looking for is Pigot & Co's Provincial Directory of 1824, but I can't find what I'm looking for anywhere on-line. Any websites that include this directory only have the Ireland entries. Has anyone seen this directory online or have any suggestions how I can verify that he really was a pharmacist. It seems odd to me that he changed to selling books, but you never know. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Pigot's 1824 Directory Bristol
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 19 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 19 07:51 GMT (UK) »
This is 1832.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 March 19 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has a Pigots directory for 1822 for Somerset and Bristol.

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 March 19 08:24 GMT (UK) »
And Mathews's Annual Bristol Directory and Commercial List, 1836, is on google books
page 90
Green Samuel, bookseller & medicine vender, 23 Castle green

Welcome to Rootschat!

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 March 19 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Bristol Mirror, 4 Feb 1809
Bonner's original BRISTOL GIRDLES for curing the ITCH and all eruptions of the skin

".................
ERUPTIONS OF THE SKIN - The BRISTOL GIRDLES are likewise a certain Cure for all those who are subject to breaking out, they will certainly eradicate all pimples, blotches or scurvy in the face or body.On a moderate calculation they have cured upwards of 20,000 persons
Price, to grown people - 2s.- Children, not exceeding twelve years old, 1s 6d. Country Agents may be supplied on liberal terms.
Sold by Mr Harris, Bookseller, Corn Street; Mr Fenley, Broad-street; Mr Green, Castle Green; and most of the respectable Booksellers in Town and County

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 March 19 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Bristol Mirror, 4 Feb 1809
Bonner's original BRISTOL GIRDLES for curing the ITCH and all eruptions of the skin

".................
ERUPTIONS OF THE SKIN - The BRISTOL GIRDLES are likewise a certain Cure for all those who are subject to breaking out, they will certainly eradicate all pimples, blotches or scurvy in the face or body.On a moderate calculation they have cured upwards of 20,000 persons
Price, to grown people - 2s.- Children, not exceeding twelve years old, 1s 6d. Country Agents may be supplied on liberal terms.
Sold by Mr Harris, Bookseller, Corn Street; Mr Fenley, Broad-street; Mr Green, Castle Green; and most of the respectable Booksellers in Town and County

Why would "respectable book sellers" stock girdles??  :-\

When is a girdle not a girdle??

Are these girdles articles of under-clothing, or something else??
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 March 19 14:07 GMT (UK) »
It was a belt worn round the waist. From the Bristol Mirror - Saturday 04 February 1809

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MelodyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 March 19 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the warm welcome and all your help, I'm absolutely amazed at what you've come up with - what a great forum! I was surprised you can still get directories at the Leicester Uni site as I thought they'd turned it all over to Ancestry, although there was nothing early enough for what I was looking for, but it will be useful for future searches. I hadn't found the 1822 directory on Ancestry, so thanks for that. The other replies were really interesting too and very helpful. I'm intrigued by the Bristol girdle....Samuel Green sold his stock in 1842 when he retired at the age of 78 - a newspaper advert listed "paintings, coins, china, geological specimens etc" as well as books. I wonder if the etc included surplus girdles!