Author Topic: William Stringer - research assistance needed please  (Read 998 times)

Offline Shannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Stringer - research assistance needed please
« on: Thursday 21 March 19 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have in family records, a William Stringer who married an Anne (surname unknown) in Liverpool in about 1799.
They had a daughter named Ann(e) Stringer, who married a Joseph Stewart in Liverpool. They, in turn, had a son named William Stringer Stewart (1826-1904). He married Sarah Maria Mann (1859-1911). They lived in India and Sri Lanka, and I have plenty of information on the children as they are my great-grand relatives.
I have no definite dates for William Stringer, his wife, or their daughter, Anne, other than some assistance I received a few years back that Ann(e) Stringer, the daughter, may have been born in 1800 in Liverpool, Lancashire. It is also mentioned that she may have been christened Nancy...???

I have managed to find reference to a Joseph Stewart marrying an Ann Stringer of the 19th of November, 1820 at St. Johns Old Haymarket, Liverpool, Lancashire.
I am struggling to work back from there.

If anyone can assist with any info on Ann(e) Stinger (Spelling varies on all the Ann/Annes), William Stringer and his wife, the unknown Ann(e), it would be greatly appreciated, as I do not currently have access to full documentation.

regards,
Shannon
Filling in the family tree gaps:
Paternal Grandfather - Stewart, John, Mann, Stringer
Paternal Grandmother - Shepperson, Chubb, Bate, John
Maternal Grandfather - Wynne

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Stringer - research assistance needed please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 19 10:12 GMT (UK) »
A few William Stringer marriages on the Lancashire online parish chest.  None in 1799 though

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

Incase this proves useful I note that

On the Joseph Stewart marriage image he is a Mariner. And Ann has beautiful handwriting
Two witnesses are Robert Quin and Mary Jones.

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 19 13:06 GMT (UK) »
William Stringer Stewart was born 10 Sep 1826 and baptised Sep 1826 at St Peter's. Parents Joseph and Ann were of Cunliffe Street, Joseph was a Mariner.

Joseph and Ann are still living in Cunliffe Street in 1841, and with them are children Mary (aged 15), Joseph (aged 10), Elizabeth (aged 3) and Robert (aged 1). GRO Online confirms Ann's maiden name as Stringer on both Elizabeth and Robert's births, and adds a further child, Bancroft, born in 1843.

Joseph was given as aged 40, while Ann was 35.

In the 1851 Census, Ann is living at 34 Cunliffe Street, and appears to keep a small shop. Joseph wasn't there, probably at sea. Elizabeith, Robert and Bancroft are all with her. And also with her was a William Stringer, aged 38, a bricklayer, labelled "Visitor". Ann says she is only 46, which would (if true) mean she was married at age 15!

In 1861, William Stringer is living with a John & Mary Stringer at 4 Cunliffe Street, labelled "Brother-in-Law". He was 48, John was 51. All birthplaces are Liverpool. No sign of Ann, Joseph, Bancroft ...

Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 March 19 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Checking back on John and Mary Stringer of Cunliffe Street in the 1841 Census found that they too had a son called Bancroft, born in 1841.

Looking at the Liverpool Parish Registers on Ancestry, found a William Stringer bap 28 Nov 1813 in Christ Church, son of Bancroft and Mary Stringer, bricklayer of Cunliffe Street

Further investigation found a Nancy (often used as a form of Ann) Stringer baptised 20 Jan 1805 in St John's church, daughter of Bancroft and Mary Stringer of Cunliffe Street, bricklayer. She was born 9 Dec 1804.

I seem to have torpedoed your William and Ann, I'm afraid!
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Shannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 March 19 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Ok...I'm going to print out all the replies and wend my way through them. Thank you to prawncocktail (love the name) and Mckha489. ;)
I have the records of William Stringer Stewart's siblings - there were 9 children all together - two Ann's and an Anne included (I am assuming one Ann died young so they just reused the name).
I will see what I can get from the Stringer findings, as this is where I have been coming unstuck!
It is very frustrating researching branches of my tree as many of the members seem to have been merchants and mariners and were constantly on the move, which makes tracking them near to impossible ???

Offline Shannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 March 19 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the info on Ann and William Stringer being born 8 years apart and both listed as having the parents Bancroft and Mary, I now find myself wondering if the information my grandfather had was incorrect - perhaps the William and Anne he had listed as Anne Stringer's parents were actually the siblings listed incorrectly...
I will look into this a bit more. It would make sense that there is an error in the family records as his research was done before computers were readily available with all the search capabilities.
It also makes sense having the Bancroft connection....always wondered where the name came from.
Shannon

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 March 19 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Bancroft and Mary also had:
Joseph bapt 5 Nov 1797 Liverpool St John
Elizabeth bur 24 Feb 1803 aged 4 Liverpool St John
Mary bap 11 Jul 1802 Liverpool St John
Elizabeth bap 15 Feb 1807 Liverpool St John
John bap 2 Apr 1809 Liverpool St John
John bap 8 Sep 1811 Liverpool St John
Robert bap 25 Feb 1816 Liverpool St Mark

Bancroft died in 1847 aged 78, in Liverpool (GRO online)
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Dorset - Westlake

Offline Shannon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 March 19 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Fantastic, thanks for the additional info - I was just looking that up. I am more convinced that the info I had from my grandfather was an error...
Shannon