Author Topic: Looking for Catherine's parents, William PLUNKETT and Catherine SMYTH co MEATH  (Read 2614 times)

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,

Looking for any information on Catherine Plunkett's parents. She was born 1876 Liverpool, England, but her oldest sister, Mary Alice was baptised 3rd December 1865 Bohermeen, Co. Meath.

The only details I have is William PLUNKETT a horse ostler was born about 1841 Meath.

He married Catherine SMYTH in Ireland. She would have been born about 1845 also in Meath. Her mother, Mary SMITH is listed on the 1871 English Census as a widow born about 1805 Ireland.

William and Catherine had at least 7 children, Mary Alice born Ireland, the remainder in Liverpool, England. (Mary Alice, William John, Charles, Edward, Catherine, Agnes and Emily).

They were Roman Catholics so I have found some listings listing their kids baptisms as Guillaume and Catharina.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Online rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Catherine's parents, William PLUNKETT and Catherine SMYTH co MEATH
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 March 19 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Mary Plunkett mention on find my past

http://www.findmypast.co.uk

http://www.navanhistory.ie

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Catherine's parents, William PLUNKETT and Catherine SMYTH co MEATH
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 March 19 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Charles, Catherine and Agnes's birth registrations show mmn as Smith - not Smyth

Have you looked for their marriage?  If Mary was born 1865 - they may just have married pre- Civil Registration (1864)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 19 00:35 BST (UK) »
Charles, Catherine and Agnes's birth . show mmn as Smith - not Smyth

Have you looked for their marriage?  If Mary was born 1865 - they may just have married pre- Civil Registration (1864)

Thank you for replying. I've tried looking up online (I'm from Melbourne, Australia) but to date have not been able to find their marriage. For now, I'd be happy if I could just determine whereabouts in County Meath they came from. The daughters baptism at Bohermeen is my only clue so far.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 19 10:51 BST (UK) »
Mary Alice was baptised 3rd December 1865 Bohermeen, Co. Meath.
Check Catholic parish registers to see if they cover marriages 1864 and back. If not found then start checking neighbouring parishes (marriages usually take place in bride's church).
https://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 April 19 03:13 BST (UK) »
Mary Alice was baptised 3rd December 1865 Bohermeen, Co. Meath.
Check Catholic parish registers to see if they cover marriages 1864 and back. If not found then start checking neighbouring parishes (marriages usually take place in bride's church).
https://registers.nli.ie/

Thanks aghadowey. I'm only new to researching irish ancestors (my great great grandparents) and wasn't aware of that site. I appreciate your help :)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 April 19 08:27 BST (UK) »
If Mary Alice was born in 1865 then her birth certificate should be viewable at www.irishgenealogy.ie ( free site). Bohermeen comes under Navan district on the drop down Reg district list. Annoyingly there doesn’t seem to be a birth to match the baptism record. I also checked under Smyth/Smith in case she was illegitimate.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 April 19 11:06 BST (UK) »
If Mary Alice was born in 1865 then her birth certificate should be viewable at www.irishgenealogy.ie ( free site). Bohermeen comes under Navan district on the drop down Reg district list. Annoyingly there doesn’t seem to be a birth to match the baptism record. I also checked under Smyth/Smith in case she was illegitimate.
Civil registration of births started in 1864 and wasn't compulsory until 1870 and unfortunately many early births weren't registered.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 April 19 17:36 BST (UK) »
I’ve been looking at the baptism entry for Mary and I think the way it is recorded may suggest that the parents weren’t married. There are a mixture two types of entry in the register - (1) the child is recorded by both first and surname followed by P.P then the father’s first name only and mother’s first name and maiden surname. (2) only the child’s first name is shown followed by P (?) and then the father’s first name and surname and the mother’s first name and surname. If you look at Mary’s entry compared to those adjacent you will see what I mean.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)