Author Topic: Help please, Who was Julius? he married Lois Glue  (Read 1262 times)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please, Who was Julius? he married Lois Glue
« on: Friday 22 March 19 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Lois Glue born 1872 registered Westhampnett, Sussex, I have all of her family sorted, her parents were William Glue 1834 and Eunice Hall 1838.
Lois married Julius Caesar on 6 Jan 1896 in Sussex, she was 24, he was 49. I have the certificate, it lists Lois as a Dressmaker and Julius as a Gentleman, her father is listed as William Glue and the father of Julius is Julius Caesar (Dec)  Witnesses were Alfred Putley and Kate Putley, she is the sister of Lois and he the B in Law.
Julius and Lois had 4 children, Julius 1896, Kate Eunice Alexander 1898, Rita Maida 1901 and Henry James 1904.  Julius died 18 July 1905 Probate granted to wife Lois. She married again, I have all of that, my problem is with Julius.

1.   There are several trees on Ancestry that list all of the above info, including the same children, however they have no marriage record supporting their trees. They have Julius born 1845 in Cheshire, parents Augustus Caesar and Mary Pugh.

2.  There is just one tree that is different and I tend to lean this way, they have a lot to support it,
They claim that Julius was born  1848 on the Island of St Helena,a small Island mid Atlantic between America and Africa.Census records for this Julius from 1871 to 1891 have him working as a Servant to Colonel McDuff who was serving in St Helena and India with the Black Watch Highland Regiment.
This tree also has a photo of Julius with Colonel McDuff and he is black, and one of Lois with 2 of their children and these children are of mixed race.

I am so confused this seems so oooo way out there and I don't know what to put on my tree.
My history is not good so that doesn't help me either.
Does anyone think it possible to find a record for Julius of St Helena.

The person who has this tree tells me her research is solid and also says Julius was a Grandson of Slaves.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Help please, Who was Julius? he married Lois Glue
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 March 19 07:13 GMT (UK) »
1901 census has him age 54 bn St Helena, do other census agree with this
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 March 19 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response.
1871  and 1881 Scotland Census he is servant to McDuff birth place Africa, ages 32 and 46
1891 England census  aged 49 lists birth year as 1842, still with McDuff, Place of birth Africa.

Ages are all over the place, sometimes it's not easy.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 March 19 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if you aware of it but there is a St Helena Government web site at www.sainthelena,gov.sh/about-us/archives with research fees listed

There are contact details shown there - archives@sainthelena.gov.sh if you wanted to contact them to see if they held any records of either Julius of the McDuff family.

Alan

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 March 19 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  The 1891 does state that he is a British subject born Africa. 

There is a Julius Caesar bn Accor in the British Army. He enlisted in 1838 and was 34 years old when he left in 1850 (Barbados)
He is described as
Height 6'2
Hair Black
Eyes Black
Complexion Black

He served for over 12 years - Africa for over 5 years then the West Indies
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 March 19 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There are 2 posts on the Ancestry "message boards" relating to "African Slavery (St Helena) to perhaps consider.

The initial post was in Oct 2018 and says the parents of Julius were James Caeser (born 1782) and Sarah. No other details appear to be known. It suggests when Col McDuff of The Black Watch 7th Highlanders North West Frontiers died, Julius inherited a small estate from him.  It also suggests Julius ran a coal delivery service until he died?

There is a response to the post in Dec 2018 which has a photo attached of Major General John MacDuff CB and his valet (possibly Julius?). The post suggests the author has more information regarding General MacDuff. It says the Bonhard Estates were sold in 1936

If you subscribe to "Ancestry" you could approach the members for information.

Alan

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 March 19 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan
Thank you for reply, I seem to have most of the information and photos, I haven't seen the posts on Ancestry as yet.
My main concern is ""Do I have the right Julius""  there appears to be 2 as stated in my 1st post one was born abt the same time in Chester, which some trees claim is the husband of Lois without much to substantiate them.
I have been in touch with one member and she is certain the Julius connected with McDuff is correct.
I have contacted another tree member who states the Chester birth and waiting on reply.
So important to get it right, I am not one to copy from other trees unless there is documentation evidence  to support it.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 March 19 04:12 GMT (UK) »
It is easy enough to follow the Julius born in Cheshire through all of the censuses.  I have searched and cannot see any Ancestry trees with the Julius who was married to Lois being stated as the son of Augustus.

Debra  :)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 March 19 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Yes you are right, I have looked at all the Census records for Julius born in Cheshire,

1871 Single. A Clerk.     
Wales  1881 married wife Jenny and 1 child, Frederick,he is a short hand writer.
1891 in Lancashire, as 1881 but he is now a Private Secretary.     

I don't think this is the Julius that marred Lois,  I tend to think others who have the above Julius and the census records above have just copied from other trees and haven't followed through with records. 

So for now I think I will stick with my Julius from St Helena